MH retro installation help

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by kstafford003, May 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

How would you install a MH retro reflector into your aquarium hood? I have the cheap "wing style" (I think its called a mogul base) reflector that the bulb screws into. On my other hood I drilled holes through the top of the hood and used bolts. I am upgrading my tank and really dont want to do this to the new tank (it looks ugly with all the bolts sticking out of the top).

Could I just use short screws and screw it directly to the top of the hood? Would the screws rust and break resulting in electrocuted fish? Could I just replace the screws say every 6 months?

Here is a link to what I have
    Galaxy Dual 250W Metal Halide Retro Kit with Electronic Ballast - AquaCave.com

Thanks a bunch!

2. Click Here!

3. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Not if they were true stainless steel. With not being able to see your actual canopy, its hard to tell you how.

If it was my tank, i would thow 3 screws into the reflector, upward on a piece of wood.

oh and mogul base refers to the screwing end. Theres that and DE( double ended)

4. kstafford003

I'll get a pick posted as soon as I can. Would the "outdoor/grey" wood screws work? I found some stainless steel but they only come in 1.5" or larger. I need a little shorter than 3/4".

5. kstafford003

Ok here is a pic. I know its a bit zoomed out, sorry I'm not with the tank right now or I would take a better picture. The top is basically a 3/4" (I believe) thick piece of wood on a single hinge in the back.

Attached Files:

6. SnooknRedz

Honestly man, i wouldnt know, All i know is on my boat, i only go with stainless screws and bolts. They arent completely rust proof, but for your application they should damn near be.

Try ace hardware for screws, if not you might have to order some online. I have some hex head screws that are stainless i used as rivets for my john boat. there only 3/4" but i mean you can always grind off excess sticking out of the wood.

1 person likes this.
  7. kstafford003

Alright thanks for the help. I'll see what ACE has.

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

nice wood work on the stand and canopy btw. I think you can find a screw that will fit the job. if not i mean the liekly hood of water or evap getting on the screw and rusting it is slim, i would worry more about the bulb and screw base more to be honest.

Give the screws a good dab of urethane when you completed it to seal it up best you can.

10. kstafford003

Thanks! I bought the tank off craigslist though :) I never thought about sealing the screw after installing it. That would keep it from vibrating out too.

11. kstafford003

ACE had them. 1/2" stainless steel wood screw. Perfect!