MH longest bulb life?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Zissou, Mar 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

So I have been running the same MH setup with the same bulb over the past five years. Yes I know the bulb is not putting out the same par value as the first day it fired up, but how long have your bulbs lasted without burnout/color change?
    Specs: mogul base 400w Coralvue 1400K powered by a 400w Icecap electronic ballast.
    [​IMG]
    Sunlight Supply Reflector:[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Anywhere from 8-10 months being conservative and depending of the bulb type, for color change in my experience. I have had bulbs that only last 6 months and then the color change became unexceptable, that was a Uhsio.

I am sure you know that you will cook any corals under a new bulb in that fixture if you change out the bulb and do not accliamte the corals to the new light.

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I had them for 11 years and I find when the center of the bulb gets black it's really time to change them. Cause of the expense and the fact that I only had fish I would let them slide as long as possible I had a bulb in the tank for two years straight and battled algae problems. Happier now with the new light set up. So is my wallet. Electric bill dropped.

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I have had my Phoenix 14k in for over a year now. I really need to change it out, just dont have the funds right now.

6. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

In all honesty, human eyes are not enough to acurately determine the shift in spectrum.

7. Zissou

Zissou Fire Shrimp

Most definitely, a new bulb would fry my babies, So I am letting this go as long as possible until I upgrade to LED.

8. Click Here!

9. MichaelKelley

MichaelKelley Banned

OMG! It Produces almost white light, attain 100 lumen per watt light output.
    Very tough to maintain... ;\

10. MichaelKelley

MichaelKelley Banned

Your bulb life is looking good and I have not seen any bulb running for this much long period. Almost all have either migrated to LED or bulb stopped working, but this one is amazing.