MH lights raising water temp

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Fishez, Nov 20, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

oh yeah i would just get more fans. Or how about this idea do u have AC. It would help having AC in your reef tanks room

2. Click Here!

3. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

fishez: I absolutely understand your frustration. I got my whole setup used. And it all just drove me crazy. First the tank was leaking... i tried to fix it, but I gave up. So I got a new one. That was already a lot of nerves. Then the light's didn't work. It was a stupid and little problem, but took me ages to figure out.
    Then my lights were heating the tank up too much so I build a canopy to put under the other canopy to get it higher. And now I don't have any way to get on top of the water with the lights on. Now I'll have to change the canopy again.
    I just feel like nothing is going smoothly.

ah well, and I had a little nervous breakdown when I got my rocks. I just couldn't stack them nicely. Took me hours and hours.
    But now it works for the moment (with some improvising). And I'm just enjoying what I have for now ;)

karma for your pain ...

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Fishez,
    Have faith! You will come across what works for you! MH are better than just VHO's IMO! There are people with VHO that have great success, but I like the rippling effect and punch of light you get all the way to the bottom with MH!

5. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

yeah my AC vent is right above my tank and I keep it between 72-74 degrees in here all the time.

6. hottielover14

thats crazy then why with all those fans and AC that it's still overheating. whats the average temp in your tank from the lights.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=hottielover14 link=board=ASAP;num=1100995412;start=15#24 date=11/21/04 at 16:24:04]thats crazy then why with all those fans and AC that it's still overheating. [/quote]

HL14,

Here's a quiz for you that may answer your question :)

If you were in a room, walls, floor and ceiling made of mirrors. Just you, a light bulb and a light switch. No doors, no windows. You walk over and turn off the switch and it is completely dark! Where did the light go?

John

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Fishez,

Are the fans blowing air in, or sucking air out?

Also, I assume you have a thermometer in the tank, if so, whereabouts?

John

10. hottielover14

the lights gone but the heat is still there. where did the light go?

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Light is a form of energy, even the most highly polished mirror absorbs some light and it becomes heat. That's why people sometimes wear white clothing if out in the sun, the white reflects more heat than say black clothing.

So if you have a very bright light shining through water then some of that light energy will be turned into heat.

In the puzzle the light simply bounces around the mirrors until completely absorbed and changed from light energy into heat energy.

Remember, you cannot destroy energy, all you can do is convert it from one sort of matter to another.

John

12. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

The 2 fans that are in the hood now blow warm air from inside the hood to the outside. would it be better for them to blow cool air from the room into the hood? I bought another fan its bigger than the other 2 that I already have and it moves about 80 CFM of air. My temp probe is suctioned to the back corner of my tank about 4 inches deep.