MH Lighting to Led Lighting

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by adam, Sep 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

My Lps brain corals look great. My 2 Montiporas polyps do now come out . My Pink MOnti looks ok but not as good before the change from MH to LED. My purple large Monti is having some areas that are going white. I am coming from using 2 150 watt 14K MH bulbs. over a 46 gallon. I have the LED fixture set to 45% for white and blues for 4 hours then about 4 hours of actinic at about 25% then 1% blue all night for moonlights.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

What fixture led, and what bulb/ballast/reflector for the MH?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Moved to------Reef Lighting.

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Using a Maxspect Razor 16000K. I was using a sunpod 2 150 watt 14K DE Phoenix bulbs for about 6 yeaI was told to start around 40 - 45% for a few weeks. Its not as bright under 45% led lighting compared to the 150 MH bulbs.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Visual brightness is very deceiving. LEDs are a very different kind of light and there is always some shock when switching.

I would consider shortening your light cycle for a bit while your corals acclimate. How long are you running the lights?

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I would love to see pics of your tank with the Razor above it. The blues are a pretty intense light as well, you said the whites were at 45% and the blues I am assuming were on 100%? just said 4 hours of them. If this is the case also dim the blue channel to help acclimate.
    Grim is right especially the blue light doesn't appear as strong as it is.

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I would start it at 20%, 40% is a little too high, that is why your corals are bleaching. With 90 degree optics, the light will be very intense, even more so than no optics,as it is being concentrated.

10. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

NEW Maxspect Razor Lighting and Montipora Dying

My Large purple Monti is not doing well since adding this fixture. I have it sitting on my 46 bow. I have some white areas hopefully you can see. I also added some more flow. I don't think that would hurt MOntis though.

Attached Files:

• 029.jpg
      029.jpg
      File size:
      407.7 KB
      Views:
    • 030.jpg
      030.jpg
      File size:
      410.7 KB
      Views:
    • 031.jpg
      031.jpg
      File size:
      419 KB
      Views:
  11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Were the answers in the first thread not good enough for you?

12. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Your montipora is not "dieing", it is simply bleaching. The new LED fixture is more powerful than your old mh bulbs, and the spectrum is specifically targeted at growing corals, so it is getting "punched" where it counts by the LEDs, and expelling some plankton as it is shocked by the lights. Turn them down to 20% power, for 12 hours a day, and turn them up 5% more every week. It is not the LEDs fault that your corals are bleaching, you simply started a little too high in power.