MH lighting question--keep glass covers on the tank or no?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by SeaGirl, May 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

i seen it on yer post, i just seen a pic, looked it up....man that is a small lift for it.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

MH should be at least 6" off the waters surface. Luna

4. SeaGirl

SeaGirl Astrea Snail

:)Salt Creep Eliminator--that sounds interesting--thanks omard! I'll have to figure out a way to raise the fixture 6" off the water--any ideas?

5. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

I know this has already been stated but would like to reiterate. Glass covers is no good. I tried and tried to keeep one on my tank to keep my wrasse from jumping out but, the temperature would not stay where I wanted it. So I scrapped the covers . Much happier now with the evaporative cooling and gas exchange. By the way my wrasse did get out with the cover on anyways . :angry: That promted me to take it off all together.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Some lights come with a hanging kit, if yours didnt, contact the company and find out if they sell it. Luna

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

A light coating of Mineral oil or Vaseline on a paper towel or finger tip then put that where you don't want slat.. Fow what ever thats worth ? Low tech ,cheap and all but nothing works better. M/H should be at least 10 inches above the water surface again for what its worth .