MH Bulbs

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Xiztence, Feb 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The description says it includes HQI bulbs, so you need double ended bulbs, besides that you can use any 150w MH bulb.

4. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Alright thanx, Does it have to be a 15k Bulb? If not which one is better 10k 14k 15k 20k?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The bulbs that come with the fixture are Chinese junk and will not last long and at best be close to the proper K values .. Better figure on new lamps ASAP I have seen that light new out of the box.. Its a knock off of the NOVA lightset up

6. rdarris

rdarris Feather Duster

there are more than one type of MH bulb pulse start and probe start, and both are not compatible with all fixtures. somewhere on the bulb itself should be an ANSI code. (something like M58/E) as long as you get a bulb with the same ANSI code it will be compatible with your fixture.

also for the sake of your livestock, try and get the same color temperature on the light, so that nothing changes in the color spectrum their used too. your link says it came with 15,000K bulbs so I'd replace them with the same value bulbs, or at least reasonable close

7. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Huh :confused: lol That was confusing, Is my fixture no good or the lamps?

8. Click Here!

9. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

Probably bulbs, they make money sending you a fixture with $15 bulbs instead of $70 bulbs

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Bulbs are the really junk part like mentioned they get the 10 to 15.00 lamps as a selling point hey free bulbs LOL nothing worth much was ever free I found .. Maybe its just my luck ): Fixture should do you fine for a few yrs .

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree... Also, keep in mind that the ballasts in these cheaper units will not power good bulbs correctly & will burn them out quickly.. I bought a cheap fixture on ebay & replaced the MH ballast, bulb, & PC bulbs. Granted I did incorporate this when I bought it & was a test I wanted to do. I did post that on here..

http://www.3reef.com/forums/reef-lighting/30-odyssea-metal-halide-system-380w-review-60610.html

You do get what you pay for, but keep in mind. If you have the know how or a friend to do it. You can make a cheap fixture do what you want for less money...

12. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam