Mh 1000k 14000k - 20000k

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by AGY, Jul 23, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AGY

AGY Plankton

I am trying to figure it out first what is the difference for the 10000 Kelvin, 14000 Kelvin and 20000 Kelvin.

So far I only know that the 10 K is crystal white, the 14k hasa bluish color and the 20k has a complete blue color.

Does anybody know what is the difference between lights and the effect that this may have on corals and fish?

I haven’t replaced my lights yet, I have 250 W 10000K MH whoever both lights have different shade so I am thinking buying a brand new set. The question is which one?

What is the point of having blue light if I have PC true actinic lights?

AGY

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

the point to having the pc's with the 14k is just more intensity although it is not needed. also you can use the pc's to help replicate dawn/dusk. personally i use a 14k sps blue life bulb because i like the way it looks, and everything seems to be doing fine. that's my .02

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Agy, the only difference between 10k 14k and 20k is the blueish tone. The different blueish tones doesnt have any effect on the corals or fish. I personally like the 20k b/c of the strong blueish light tone and it helps the actinics to bring out the colors of the corals.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The higher the K. the hotter the color temp.. Like a old 5500K is far to cool and will feed algae and the color of the Bulb does have a huge impact on corals they are designed to simulate light at different depth..Hotter the K less issues with algae .. And more coral growth thats why the actinic are so important for the corals .. And also all K values are not the same the manufactures all add a little more or less Mercury and metals to get their colors and all are totally different looking even at the same K rating. a 1400 K say Ushio with have a far different look when set beside a SPS or Iwakie or Buskline

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

As tangster said, it does have to do with temperature of the light. Most corals will do well with a full spectrum bulb...ie 10,000k and supplemental blue actinics. The 10,000k will be your PAR king giving the corals plenty of energy to live and thrive. After that, actinics can finish the job of keeping the corals healthy and giving the tank a crisp blue/white look depending on what nm you decide to go with.

7. AGY

AGY Plankton

thanks for the info.

So if I understand correct if i use 14 or 20K will be better for my corals and also will help to reduce algae to grow?