MG Dosing Help

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Xiztence, Mar 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I told ya what to do the other day on the other mag thread you wrote.. if you can go back/search to see.. I believe I stated you need a toal of 28oz of kent m fluid to raise your mag to 1400. the bottle is probly 16 oz.. so add 8 oz today and continue that for 3 more days. but test each day..

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I come up with a raise of 128.8 ppm but 1.2 ppm isn't going to make any difference at all..so you're right by my calculations.

X..Dose 60ml for a week and then test to see where you're at. If you're at your target level begin maintainence dosing.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

ok i found the message for ya..save you some time..

----
    Originally Posted by Xiztence
    I have heard that epsom salt has down's to it on the long run
    So I'm going with Kent Marine Tech-M for MG, Good idea?
    ----
    if you have kent mg then use that.. if your poor like me, then buy epsom salt.. Ive heard that too, but also heard some mag boosters have the same chemical makeup as epsom salt. I rarely dose mag, maybe once a month..

either one, whatever floats your boat..

if using kent 28 fluid oz is needed. so if kent m comes in a 16oz bottle, you'll need 2 bottles at $9 bucks a pieces thats $18. you can buy a 2 pound bag of epsom for probly $7. and that will last you a while.. catch me drift.

and if doing kent-m liquid, same procedure just dose 7-8 oz of liquid today and follow up tomorrow with a test and the same for 3-4 days..

5. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

Or you could check out the additive calculator on 3reef:

3reef.com - Forums for coral reef aquariums, salt water fish, corals, inverts, protein skimmers, aquarium lighting and more - Calculators

I would also be surprised if your total water volume is 60 gallons with a standard 55 tank and 20 sump. Both of those volumes are based off the outside dimensions of the tanks I believe, so right off the bat your less than the 75 suggested gallonage between the two. Rock displacement and sand will take up quite a bit of room as well. Baffles, skimmer, and not having a full sump all add up. When I do 10 Gal water changes on my 55, I'm surprised to see how much water is gone and remains in the tank, and that's just pulling water from the column. Once I get down to where the rocks are, the same 10 gallons will disappear much quicker. Just to be safe, especially when dosing, I would lean to the lower end of estimated water volume. Say around 45-50 gallons total and see where you end up after the suggested dosages from the calculator.

6. Palancarpets

Palancarpets Astrea Snail

How many hard corals do you have in your tank? That will govern how quick your mag is used up in your system. I personally would suggest finding out what you usage is first after you get your mag where you want it. Then once you know your usage use one of the online calculators to dose accordingly.

Here is my favorite one, since it covers most of the available additives.
    http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chemcalc.html

Here is the one on Bulk Reef Supply.
    REEF CALCULATOR - English

7. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Thats what I'm going to do :)
    I'm just going to dose the 60ml to be on the safe said lol
    I calculated my total water volume before it was like 60 something, So I just estimate 60 ;)

8. Click Here!

9. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Wow let's see I have about 20 hard corals & 3 clams ;D & a whole bunch of softys

10. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

When should I test for MG?

11. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I would wait a day after you dose to test.

12. Xiztence

Xiztence Gigas Clam

Alright thanx