Mexico's Underwater Museum Gets First Sculptures

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yesterday the first of many life-like sculptures were submerged into a national park near Cancun that will become the world's largest 'underwater museum.' These awe-inspiring figures are the work of artist Jason deCaires Taylor whom created a smaller exhibition near Grenada pictured below. 'The sculptures will be made of PH-neutral concrete, which, it is hoped, will attract algae and marine life and give the local ecosystem a boost.' How cool!

[​IMG]
    A Figure Grows Some New Eyes In Grenada

This 3reefer hasn't been to Cancun since high-school, but maybe now is the time to renew that passport. Amazing!

You have to check out this slide show of the Grenada exhibit:
    BBC News - In pictures: underwater sculptures

More on the new work in Mexico in link below.

Source and photo credits:
    BBC News - Mexico's 'giant underwater museum'

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Outstanding!! That's good stuff. That cement dude looks pretty surprised about something! That's not Jimmy Hoffa, right? :)

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

:lol:

5. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

Very Kewl.. they kinda look like the shippmates off the Black pearl... with all the sponge growing on them ....

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

This makes me want to re-do the rock in my tank.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

as the saying goes

I dont know if its art, but I do know I like it
    Steve

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

This is probably the "elephant in the room" here, but i'm assuming you snorkel or dive at these sites? They keep saying National Park, but I've never heard of a "Park" underwater. So that makes me think land. A museum also makes me think of land. So, the only thing that hints to these being underwater is the fact that they're underwater :lol: No one mentions how these sculptures are viewed, it just says they're viewed. Can you see my dilema? :D

10. ReefSparky

Elephant in the room. . .hmm. I don't get ya, =Jwin=. The way definitions are broadening these days, it doesn't surprise me that there's now a museum underwater, or that National Park boundaries can extend to areas covered by water.

Necessitated by location, there's only one way these sculptures can be viewed--that's with a mask. :)

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Well, I guess when I heard underwater museum, it reminded me of this:

[​IMG]
    The USS Arizona in Hawaii.

So I was just wondering how exactly this museum would be viewed, since it didn't specify anywhere.

And "Elephant in the Room" implies something so obvious that some people take it for granted or assume everyone sees it because it's so obvious. I was just hoping I didn't miss a crucial statement in that article somewhere :lol:

12. ReefSparky

To my understanding, the idiom "elephant in the room" speaks of a problem everyone knows about, but nobody will talk about because it's embarrassing. I think that's why your choice of that expression confounded me.