Metal Halide vs. T5

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Willieo101587, Jun 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I just got the 8 bulb t5 system for my 90 saturday and i agree its a beast. Lfs said i am not limited to any coral with this system and they are a very knowledgeable fish store. They raised baby clams with a 36" 6 bulb tek unit on a 50gallon. They responded and looked very vibrant under the tek fixture.

2. Click Here!

3. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

that's one piece of mind cause I was ready to get frustrated, can't afford mh for some time

4. dcgray125

dcgray125 Plankton

T-5HO and PC lights? can you please let me know what those mean, sorry still getting used to the terminology,
    thanks

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

they are type of lights
    t-5 is a real thin florescent tube, HO is high output mean it runs with more power and light output then a normal t5.

PC power compact, this hobbies version of compact florescent.

6. dcgray125

dcgray125 Plankton

thank you very much, I've started a list of the acronyms lol

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

8. Click Here!

9. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

interesting read. I almost made the purchase for MH, but I'll hold off until more responses

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

honestly this debate has been done to death, probably why I didn't answer at first.

But if you want my opinion, both will work. I like halide tho its simpler(less bulbs and easier to find par data) and looks better. How ever halide will run a little hotter then t5ho.

11. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

I see. Seems like Most MH users have no heat problems with simple computer fans around the fixture.

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I would say most people can get away with fans and not need a chiller, on my tank I don't even use the fans. although alot of it has to do with room temp.