Metal Halide vs T5 which is better?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by fishinoman1, Dec 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishinoman1

fishinoman1 Plankton

i have a t5 now and i just ordered the jbj 150watt metal halide deluxe i was wondering what are the main benefits of the metal halide compared to the t5. Like does the metal halide reduce algea, and do corals grow much quicker under a halide. Also ive had a frogspawn for about a year and it hasnt grown much at all, i was wondering if the metal halide would make my frogspawn actually grow. Btw i have a duncan coral tht has been growing just great.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I like metal halide I think you get better growth from sps. I also the the shimmer metal halides give. But they do put out a lot of heat. You can burn some corals like lps if you switch to medal halide too quickly and they are too high in the tank. You need to acclimate the corals to new lighting.

T5 run a lot cooler, you can arrange the bulbs to get some interesting color to the tank and some pop from the corals.

It is an age old agrument and those using T5 are goingt to tell you T5 and those using halide are going to.......

I do like the fixtures that have a combination of both.

1 person likes this.
  4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

Your mother or father which is better?

same deal here, both have strengths and weakness's and both will raise the same things.

1 person likes this.
  5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Most top of the line T5HO units are equal to or have slightly higher PAR than 250W MH units. Main differences are shimmer lines and heat for MH and spectrum manipulation for T5HO as stated by Corailline. Some corals do better under one type of light than others. You will use more energy with MH units than T5HO without adding in the chiller that may be needed.

You are most likely going to a weaker light with your move.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great comparison, pretty much spot on.

7. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

I believe if you can afford it, go MH. I love my MH, the shimmer and the ability to keep any coral I want in my 32" tall tank.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I would say that more then likely is not true if he has a smaller tanks or a really big tank(not likely with a 150). halides main strength is the small bulb size.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That and how many bulbs the T5 unit had. 4 bulbs in the T5 and the 150 is weaker, 2 bulbs it is stronger. This is as long as we are talking T5HO.

11. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

what size is your tank depth wise, what are you planning on growing, what is your budget, and what is your current fixture doing that you dont like. There pros and cons to both,

Halide pros- Shimmer across waters, more natural IMO, greater spectrum of light, light pennatrates deeper.
    Cons- run hotter (may have to have a chiller), use more energy alot more, bulbs seem to be more, bulbs dont last as long 3-4months i belive is the best tome for replacement.

T-5s Pro- run cooler, less electricity comsumption, cheeper for the bulbs and fixture IMO, bulbs last 6-8 months.
    Cons-less penetration debth, need more bulbs to get same resulte as halides, no shimmer (less natural looking).

Its really up to you the t5s are what im using and will continue to use easyer for my wife to work on when im not at home and dont use as much electricty. Go for the best deal.

If money is no object try the new boost leds cost more but hve really good reviews and last alot longer than the traditional t5 or halides.

this is one opinion and you will hear more than my own but there is no right answer just what works for you.

hopr this helps.

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Depth of penetration depends on the MH. T5HO are good to 30". 250W MH are good to there also. 150W and 175W MH don't match T5HO depth of penetration.