Metal Halide newbie

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by dis 1, Sep 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dis 1

dis 1 Astrea Snail

Hi everyone,

im a newbie to halides, and i just got a Aqua Medic 250watt HQI metal halide 2x54watt t5 combo fixture with a Aqua Medic Ballast and im gonna use the XM15000k halide bulbs and im wondering what T5 bulb combo should i use to supplement the halides?

or what halide and t5 combo should i use for this fixture?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hi dis -
    I have an Aqua Medic Ocean fixture - a 2 foot version - and I use a 150 HQI 14k phoenix bulb and T5 UVL super actinic bulbs:
    UVL T5 V-HO Super Actinic Bulb 420NM

I am very happy with this combo. In your case I bet just adding the T5 bulbs would be fine since your XM is similar K.

I am not sure about your ballast but when I went to an electronic Lumatek ballast I was extremely impressed with the difference. The soft start and control really extends the life of the bulbs - well, at least keeps performance up for the life of the bulbs... my HQI look brand new after 9 months - no caking anymore. Not saying you have to dump what you have, but something to think about down the road.

matt

4. dis 1

dis 1 Astrea Snail

"Caking?" What is that?
    As for the ballast, it came with the fixture.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Caking describes the yellowish residue that can build up on the inside of the bulb - especially with magnetic ballasts.

6. dis 1

dis 1 Astrea Snail

As for t5 supplementation i was gonna use either
    2 blue plus or 2 purple plus or 2 coral plus or should i just use the combo you suggested?

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It's up to you sir - I don't have experience with those bulbs. Just sharing mine. Hope it helps