metal halide help!

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by mushroom_man, Feb 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I am right there with you. I just thought it was important enough to mention. The PAR values on the 6500K Iwasaki rock, but, I wouldn't want one over the top of my tank ;D

Jim

2. Click Here!

3. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    thanks everyone, for the help!

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

All the yrs I have been in the coral/clam spawning and grow out game I have yet to find a better bulb then the old Iwakie 5,500 or the 6,500 K the 6.500 IMO being the better. Tuff as nails and will run 2 yrs easily. Now I don't want one on my pleasure tank LOL But I did like the growth rate and looks from the 15,000K X-M Bulds and based on a little more scientific unit then PAR its a better bulb. This unit measures the spectrum that is used by the plant or animal. Not so much about how much reaches the target. Like a 12 Ga. compared to a sniper 50 Cal.. On one you point and pull and the other is more about the aim..LOL

5. mushroom_man

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Does anyone else think $91.00 for a 250W mh is too expensive? :)
    I haven't seen this bulb in action, And no of no pro's or cons about it. Is there any particular reason for wanting it?
    I have seen the Ushio bulbs and the XM's in person.

Jim

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not sure what bulb we are talking about from the cost a Its a coralife 22_AF250 ? I never liked the Coralife looks like the old Hamalitions to me or the old red sea 10K Very cool looking more yellow then I like like a 6500 unless you have plenty of 03 added. I'd not pay for the name..

8. Click Here!

9. mushroom_man

not with that bulb exact, because they are expensive as heck... (on that site)

how do Ushio and xm do?

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have used them all and can get anyone I'd like and I'd take the Ushios and or X-M at a 10,000 K over any of them. I have been testing a new buld for a few weeks SPS and thier 14,000 kicked coral growth in the butt I can see almost daily growth in the corals heads and branches. Their polyop extention has doubled in the last week. We have all SPS corals except for a open brain and a frogspawn and hammer and they have really blossomed under these new SPS bulbs . But I'd steer clear of the Coralife bulbs IMO that is..

11. mushroom_man

well that is why i ask! thank you.

but does this m/h retro looks good? (without a lamp)