metal halide help!

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by mushroom_man, Feb 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
  2. Click Here!

3. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

lol.. Cool. 250 Watt is what I was concidering also. I guess since you are so decisive, haha. I will ask which brand you want to get? The link shows several brands.

4. mushroom_man

yeah i know... im waiting for other reefers to jump on with an opinion...;D

5. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Ice Cape, lol. They make good systems. Im not to sure about MH though, ill wate for someone else tooo.

6. mushroom_man

thats what im doing lol ;D

7. pshootr

pshootr Fire Worm

I may be wrong but from what I have read T5 is very good. Definatly a breakthrough in the flourecent world. And do produce very good results. On the other hand I do believe the bottom line is that MH is the CLOSEST to the sun you can get. Then the question will be is it really worth the extra energy and heat.... May be some one can clue us in a little here. Ofcouse this also has to do with wether you wish to keep SPS and most light demanding species I assume.

8. Click Here!

9. 4G1v3N

4G1v3N Spaghetti Worm

Hey Monkey,
    I just bought a 400w metal halide retro kit from jbj. I am really happy with it! Here is a link to the site, the retro kit comes with a parabolic refletor not the one seen in the site. Another option for ya.
    -Jordan

10. mushroom_man

11. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

I would say the ice cape one. Ive heard alot of good stuff about them. Good luck man, cant wait to see this bad boy goin, lol.

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I think either one will give you what you want. Your choice :)
    As far as bulbs go... For your tank any of them will work. It is going to be a matter of personal preference on what you think will be the most eye appealing.
    Your tank isn't 50" deep and hopefully your canopy can be raised or lowered to accommodate your corals. You can also adjust the time the light is on. SO.... What I am saying is with either one of those retro kits you can use just about any bulb you want to, so get one that looks good to your eyes and then acclimate the corals to it. Enjoy,

Jim