metal halide help!

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by mushroom_man, Feb 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    ok im going to find a 250w retro fit kit on ebay (most likley) but im confused as to what to look for.

i dont know what a pfo, pulse start, magnetic start, ect.

i dont know jack and ive been looking for info and i cant find anything... could someone please inform the ignorant...;D

thanks,
    jon

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

1 person likes this.
  4. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

5. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

First figure out what kind of bulb you want to use and get a ballast that caters to that. If you don't know which you want, then find a ballast that will PROPERLY light the biggest number of bulbs and you should be all set.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I hear that electric start is better than magnetic. Also, You will want to decide on the color of the bulb as Diver1298 pointed out, their are differences in the color of bulbs(same Kelvin) by the different manufacturers!!! I have a coralife 10000k bulb that looks more like a 14000k bulb as the blue color is more prominent!
    One good thing, as you mentioned from a previous post monkey, you will now be better able to keep SPS in your tank!!!!!
    I am looking to get a 400w DE HQI metal halide pendant to compliment my other two 250w DE HQI halide pendants on my 125 reef tank, thus giving me stronger lighting to a part of my tank with my higher light demanding corals such as acropora and Montipora denae!!!
    Best of luck with your lights and tank...Monkey!

1 person likes this.
  7. mushroom_man

thank you eveyone for the help and karma for diver and reefer!

1. ok what is pfo. why are they not compatable with reef set ups.

2. im thinking of a 14k 250 or a 10k 250, both with two atinics t5-ho (which i already have), but with would be better for coral growth. i know that 14k is more blue, but does that affect the growth of the corals?

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Who said PFO is not compatible?

14k is supposed to be bluer than 10k but it varies WIDELY from manufacturer to manufacturer. They don't always go by the same specifications, plus they will have different spectral plots. But, since you're not a lighting geek...It doesn't really matter :eek:

I wouldn't worry about the difference in a 10k to 14k bulb. The only one you don't want to buy is a 15k XM bulb, because it has a lower PAR value than a 20K XM bulb. So, generally speaking the 10K bulb is a crisp white color which when combined with your T5 HO actinics should look good to you. As long as you go with a name brand bulb it's hard to go wrong. (with the one exception mentioned above ;)) When you get ready to buy a 250W retro kit, put the link on the forum and we'll check it out and tell you what bulbs will work with it and if it looks like a good deal or not. Enjoy,

Jim

10. mushroom_man

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Ok monkey,
    Let me shed some light(no pun intended) on this topic for you!!!!Lighting is just one piece of the equasion regarding coral growth!!! Again, different brand of bulbs will have different bulb colorations for the same kelvin!!! Next, it is said that the blue spectrum will help increase the growth of corals, however, full spectrum light offering all the colors ranging from infra-red to ultra-violet are the best for the different organisms in your tank.
    This being said, this is just touching the surface of the coral growth and health dilemna!!!
    Their are other factors that MUST be addressed in order for your corals to grow and flourish.
    Temperature is a key component as a high temperature will decrease the soluability of oxygen in your water. Ideal calcification happens with a pH between 8.2-8.5, higher pH values will cause you to have a harder time maintaining a fixed alkalinity. Best thing to do to maintain a acceptable calcium and alkalinity range is to dose kalkwasser! Best time to dose is at night when photosynthesis has stopped as the Kalk reacts with CO2 creating more calcium to be released into your water!(kalk aslo increases your pH level!) If your pH level is too high add acetic acid(vinegar to your kalk solution as the vinegar reacts with the CO2 in your water decreasing the pH level. Calcium will also play a part in your corals growth and health! Calcium level will increase as salinity increases and vice versa! You want to maintain a calcium level of 400mg/l -450mg/l so that you alkalinity level doesn't fluxuate! Higher calcium level will decrease your alkalinty level just as low calcium level will increase you alkalinity level. Low alkalinity levels are more problematic than low calcium levels as far as coral growth is concerned.
    Basically, what I am trying to get at without trying to get to technical is that light is one small piece to the puzzle with regards to coral growth! If you have intense lighting and the most desireable lighting fixture, but your water parameters are off, you will NOT get the desired results that you are looking for in terms of coral growth. You need to evaluate you calcium, alkalinity, pH, temperature, turbidity(suspended matter in your water column that will refract the amount of light reaching your corals as well as (gelbstoff) which is the yellowish coloration(DOM) that we find alot of times in our water.
    Carbon and proper filtration and water movement should take care of those problems. Magnesium is also important as well as the amount of DO, CO2, salinity, water changes and the supplementation of trace elements>

12. Diver_1298

Jon,
    I think Marc typed that because some PFO lighting fixtures are set up mainly for the Iwasaki 6500K bulb. Which is very yellow compared to most marine aquarium bulbs and the ballasts are really for mercury vapor bulbs and not some of the newer pulse or probe start bulbs (<<--- not 100 percent sure about that)
    The Ebay link that you posted is a picture of a disassembled metal halide fixture probably from some warehouse with the ballast removed from it and what appears to be a homemade reflector. It will work as long as you are confident in your DIY abilities. I would ask what name bulb they are supplying before purchasing though. They advertise it is a probe sart ballast ( ANSI number M58 ) so if you decide to go with a name brand bulb here are a few 250W bulbs that will work. Ushio, Coralife, Venture, XM, Coralvue, and Hamilton. All Single ended mogul based metal halides with different Kelvin values from 6K to 20K.

Jim