Metal halide bulb life

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Mobalized, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have heard recommended bulb change intervals between 6-12 months are common but had planned to replace mine 9-12 months. Lately I have been noticing a large amount of algae growth and decided to just change the bulb and see what happens (bulb is 6 mo old). Old bulb and new bulb are both coralife 150w 14,000k. The difference was immediately noticeable. Old bulb = yellow, new bulb = blue. I am shocked that with only 6 months of use the bulb had deteriorated so much. Hopefully this solves some algae issues.

2. Click Here!

3. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

Thats weird. I changed out my 12 month old 175w 14k e-bay halides, old one had lost its blue tinge to it and slightly diminished light output.

4. Mobalized

I found it amazing that after only 6 months that it had lost a huge amount of its blue spectrum.

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

What type of ballast is driving it?

6. Mobalized

good question, I don't have it in front of me nor can I find details about it on their website. its for a biocube hqi so maybe oceanic or coralife