merulina coral

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Sataly, Mar 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Just saw one today and I can honestly say they're beautiful looking corals. Did a bit of reading and quite honestly I'm confused. Wouldn''t they technicallyrics be classified as an lps and not a sps? I keep reading they are and then I hear about how they"llconversation throw their sweepers all out. Another thing is that they pretty much look like a brain. Is their a specific reason as to why they're sps? They don't really seem to have small polyps like montis or acros.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Cant answer your question, but SPS is solely a hobiest term. It might explain the confusion.

4. Sataly

Always thought it was scientific term for short. Now I'm really confused about this dam coral lol. Gotta admit They're beautiful pieces.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hydnophora and Turbinaria are both also classified as sps when they really do not resemble the rest of the sps group. Physically they do not have the same characteristics and behaviorally they seem completely different than other sps.

civiccars2003 and DSC reef like this.
  6. Sataly

That being, since the hobby rule is to keep sps with sps and lps with lps, would the rules apply to the ones metioned?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Turbinaria requires high flow and lighting to do it's best so it's more like an sps. Hydnophora has the potential to kill any other coral near it, does not require the most intense lighting or flow so I treat that one more like an LPS. The Horn version of the Hydnophora likes to go higher in the tank, you get better coloration. I have kept the plating version does fine in the sand bed.