Melafix treatment question

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Puffer Chick, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

i think this is the right spot but if not please move.

It was suggested that i use melafix to help treat ick. My McCoskers Flasher Wrasse had severe ick last night. I think its from the stress of being bullied by the chromis. Today the ick has gotten better but i want to make sure i treat with the correct amount melafix

the directions say to remove activated carbon from filter *which i dont have* and add 1 tsp per 10 gallons. And to dose daily for 7 days and after 7 days to a 25% water change

do i have to do it for 7 days? or can i just do it up until the ick is gone, i am also feeding with garlic. Do i need to turn off my skimmer during treatments and do i have to wait 7 days to do a water change?

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I've never heard of using Melafix for ich, but I may very well be wrong!

4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Melafix and Pimafix wont treat Ick, They will only help heal the wounds from the parasites as to where it wont cause a secondary bacterial infection on the fish. Normally use the medications as prescribed by the company. I however Dont use melafix for 7 days probably 3-4 days then a WC.

5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

the 7 days is to make sure the ich is completely kicked
    the skimmer off for a while is a must!!! also when you turn it on the skimmer will go CRAZY

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

melafix is a general antibiotic derived from plants, it will have a small effect on ich, however not as high as on bacteria

7. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

hmm i hope it at least helps, i have never dosed the the tank with anything so i want to make sure im doing things correctly

think its worth dosing? or should i wait another day to see if its gone, half of the ick is already gone by iteself

i worry about the skimmer, it goes nuts when i feed cause of the garlic, id hate to see how it turns out if i end up using this stuff

8. Click Here!

9. irr0001

irr0001 Purple Tang

Sorry I should have been more specific on the other thread. It won't directly cure the ich..the only thing that will do that is copper or hyposalinity. The melafix will just do as what every has said above..prevent infection.

Ivan

10. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

ohhh ok now i understand :D with his ick getting better do you still think that its worth dosing for how severe he had it?

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I wouldn't, just based on the fact that I was using Melafix for Dora and I had to turn off the skimmer and remove the filter media, so the tank wasn't being cleaned...and the water is all cloudy.....

If he's eating and seems fine I'd leave it be.

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Hmm... Thats odd, I've never had it make my water cloudy... Ive used melafix quite a bit for mooch. Never ended up with cloudy water.