Melafix, Pimafix treatment question!

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by WCGO, Dec 14, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. WCGO

WCGO Plankton

I'm going to treat my tank with melafix and pimafix, however, it states to remove the carbon filter for best results.

I have an aqueon filter, and it's either I take the cartridge out, or leave it in.
    What should I do? It says treat for 7 days in a row, so I go 7 days without foam catridge and carbon? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

WCGO
    if the carbon stays in the filter it will remove the chemicals you are adding and thus render treatment ineffective

can you describe why you are using these treatments
    can you give us a run down on your set up, how long has it been set up
    what equipment you have and whats in there

if the foam is the main bio filter of your set up, then removing that would not be good as you are aware

can you not seperate the carbon from the foam ? sorry Im not familiar with this filter

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. WCGO

WCGO Plankton

I have two goldfish in the Aquarium. The one that seems to have a minor case of fin rot and some reddenning on the fins is about 6inches. I have another one that is 4-5 inches that is completely fine.

They got moved into a 20 gallon about 4 months ago, I made sure it was cycled (but it's making me think that it wasn't completely cycled).
    I do bi weekly to monthly water changes of 25%.

I had pictures on another web forum, and they suggested that it was a minor case, and melafix and pimafix (+ some salt) would do the job and I should try that first. There's a heater in there to make sure it doesn't get too cold during winter (i live in canada).

I've had the 6inch goldfish for about 6 years, and the other one for about 3 years.

and nope, unfortunately the filter foam cannot separate from the carbon... the filter replacements come prepacked.

5. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I run an Aqueon On my saltwater tank, there is a set of filters you can buy that you actually make thus not having to put carbon in. Before I got those What I did was loosely opened a corner of the filter cartridge and then rinse out the carbon into a pail and dispose of it.

2 people like this.
  6. WCGO

WCGO Plankton

Ok thanks for the tip, I did just that.

1 person likes this.