Megaflow

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by k9BOLX, Dec 13, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

I have a megaflow overflow on my 95G. I noticed recently that the flow back from my sump is not as strong as it once was. investigating this i found that the right angle elbow at the top of the return has a small hole drilled into it. Im presuming this is some sort of an anti-syphon thing.

is this correct?

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Yes it is. Its probably not the reason why your getting less flow since its been there since the beginning ;)

Marc.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Have you cleaned the impeller of your sump pump? Does the pump have a sponge?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Those little return J tubes that you say has a hole in it are a problem in that they will cause way more restrictions and they will also clog with slime and coralline I have seen then clog up many times from a sheet of algae or some grit and sand might want to check that also ?

6. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

yes there is a hole placed there and yes it's for breaking the siphon should you lose power.

7. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Agree with JP... very important to have that-make sure it doesn't get clogged!

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

It's unlikely that the return is clogged. It's dark in there and a high flow area. It's probably the return pump. Go with Matt's recommendation and break it down and check the impeller. They do get chewed up and fail over time.

10. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

thanks. everyone. ill check it out when i get home. I have an eheim and I took the prefilter out of the pump because it kept slowing the pump givbing me heat probs. Knowing my luck it caused something else to break. ill check it when i get home

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

For what it's worth, I take the impeller out and put my Eheim hole side up in the sink, fill it with white vinegar and place the impeller back in and let it sit for an hour. Then I rinse and wipe everything out and put it back together.

12. k9BOLX

k9BOLX Spaghetti Worm

Matt, how often do you do that?