meds and tank glue

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by diggardens, Dec 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

Does anyone have an idea of how long medications stays in your tank? It has been 7 years since I had to put meds in the tank. I had Discus but I took a sick one from a friend that I thought I could save. Lost all of them. Then I went African Cichlid for the last 7 years but I have now turned it into a (soon to be) reef tank. I just remembered about the meds and it got me thinking about the glue. I have cleaned it several times with white vinegar. Am I ok or what can I do?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Meds are removed from a salt tank in a hurry if was not a copper treatment .. Skimmer and carbon will remover antibiotics in a few days if not hrs for some types.But if you scrubbed it well with vinegar and a few good rinsing with total air dryings in between then you'd be good to go. What was the last types of meds did you treat the tank with ? I breed Discus for many yrs and the discus disease will wipe them out in a hurry lost several colonies/schools/shoals/ herds what ever a flock of discus are called LOL myself..

But if you are worried about any residual meds left in the silicone then a good metal polymer and carbon will remove the rest while you cycle the tank.

4. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

I had put the Discus in my tank not knowing it was sick. As soon as I did it was clear that it was in poor health. I moved it to a quarantine tank.Yes I should have done that first but I took it on good faith. Beautiful 6 inch cobalt. I couldn't wait. Within a few days I noticed that my 5 were showing signs of sickness. Being in wv, there is not to much Discus help around. There is only one so-so LFS. Even they don't carry much in meds. By the time I got my online order most of the fish died. Do you know which one died last? Yep, the sick one I got off that friend. I couldn't put all of them in the 10g q tank. After that I gave up Discus. I had them for about 3yrs. I don't have anything from that experience left but I don't believe any of the meds had copper in them. That was the first time dealing with disease and only time. I have been keeping fish since I was 13. I just hope my luck sticks through with the reef.

Thanks