Me also with a Coral Browning

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by adam, May 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I moved my Rainbow Monti about 8 inches higher. He was 20 inches under the 150 watt MH bulb. I just got him this Saturday. After I moved him my Bi-Color Blenny nipped a few times at him and now those spots are a little whitish. His green polyps are slowly coming back but the base is kinda brown. My bulbs are 6 months old and 20,000K. At this point do I just have to wait till he comes out or should I have left him at the bottom of the tank for a longer period?
    Thanks,
    Adam

I am worried and I just want this guy to brighten up with his polyps out.

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Corals that are brown can take a while to color back up, and light is NOT always the case... Nutrients, including NO3 or PO4 will cause SPS to brown out as will kH values over 14 dkH.
    Water flow has been reported as well.
    I have seen corals color up in as little as a week or as long as a month or so.
    Ajsailing a buddy of mine has a 75 and had a few brown SPS pieces, he also had a large lunar wrasse and sailfin in the tank... When he removed them and did some water changes the colors POPPED almost overnight, and his NO3 was about 20ppm prior to removing the fish and doing the W/Cs.....

Give it some time adam and check your paramaters!

Good luck

2 people like this.
  4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

My NO3 and PO4 both read 0. When I moved the Rainbow 8 inches higher the Bi-Color Blenny nipped a few times trying to find algae on him. Turned the brownish color to whitish. It was accidental though. I was told that with my 150 bulbs I will never get the blue base?? 2 250 watt bulbs would need a chiller I would think over my 46. I don't know how the softies and mushrooms would like the 250's?

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Softies, for the most part, such as sarchopyton can tolerate as much or more light intensity than SPS so I wouldn't worry about that....Mushrooms are another story and would most likely not like the added intensity.

You could try 175s....
    Also, are you sure there is no renegade asterina stars or montipora eating nudibranchs?

Did you dip the coral at all?

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Yes I dipped him in Seachem Reef Dip for 6 mins while it was floating in the bag