maybe i have a copper problem?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by ontop27, Dec 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

I've had a 24gallon tank since may. Circa August something happened and my coral slowly started to shrivel and die, which included a decent sized hammer, xenia, green star polyps, and some type of buttons. My leather and kenya tree survived and are flourishing still. I tried numerous water changes, bought most testing kits and everything was were it should be, and bought a skimmer. About 2 weeks ago I tried another piece of gsp from my other tank, and some zoas. Only the zoas survived. I have 72 watts of power compact and the bulbs were only 4 months old when it started to happen. (i know these lights aren't the best, I have t-5s on my other tank, but it was weird that everything was great one day and then it went down hill) So yesterday I bought a copper test. It said wait three minutes to see results but I didn't see anything. A couple hours later I checked again and it looks like it could possibly be in the .25 ppm region. Oh also my hermits have a pretty low success rate as well. Did the test change because it was out for a while or do I have a problem? and what could I do? Do they make a copper out solution? I also used phosguard in the past which is an AO, so I was worried about the aluminum leaching in so I stopped using that about a month and a half ago. Sorry for the research paper haha, but Idk what else to do.

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I used polyfilters when I had a Cu problem. Removed the Cu in a week. When the pad turns blue you replace it. I run one at all times now just in case. Also changes to different colors depending on what it removes.

Poly Filter

1 person likes this.
  4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

You could also try running Seachem Cuprisorb. I would run this along with some carbon to make sure you absorb any harmful trace chemicals. If that is the problem, it should help.

1 person likes this.
  5. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

Thank you both very much I'll probabally head out today and try and find one of these products. Is it bad that I hope the pad turns blue?? K+ to both of you (oh and I change my carbon about once a month :) )

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The carbon and polyfilter pads will work. I have never tried seachem cuprisorb, but if it is anything like their other products expect good results. I would want it to turn blue that way you know what the problem is and are fixing it.

Your welcome

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid