May be switching to a 175 watt Halide

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin_E, Mar 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I'd be switching from the 120 watt LED unit. I just can't seem to get very good growth results and the colors aren't very impressive to me. I've been going back and forth with this decision for months, but I may be able to trade my LEDs in for a Hamilton HQI pendant and ballast.

Thoughts.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Wow, I'm getting good growth under my LED's. Mine are a little less powerful than yours considering the depth and size of my tank though.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I too feel I am getting good growth from all my sps, etc.

But I'm here to tell ya, many reefers on my regional club board are going back to MH for the more full spectrum, etc.

Maybe I could make a unit that would retrofit to a MH to help heat a house in the winter!

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I've kept mine at 30-40% to try and keep my colors somewhat decent. The LEDs seem to wash out my colors. I recently turned the whits down to about 20% to try and get the colors to stand out more. In 10 months I've gone from a two headed trumpet to a 4 and 4 red mushrooms to 2. In 7 months, I've gone from pea size monti frags to quarter size frags. They were deeeep purple when I bought them. In 3 months, my acro has barely grown at all. It's added a couple of stumps. My birdsnest has been growing the best, but for 7 months, it's not very colorful or overly impressive in growth. My zoas haven't really grown at all in the 7 months I've had them and same with my blu mushrooms (went from 1-2).

I just feel like I am missing something in my lighting like spectrum or par.

6. serega

serega Astrea Snail

You need use a full spectrum leds, if you have a royal blue and whites never get a colors. Good idea use t5 with leds. My build right now show lot of greens on corals and that corol really bright on them vs MG lamp. And UV leds give a special effect you never gonna see under MG lamp

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It has 55 diodes. Has violets, 2 types of blues, 2 types of whites and 2 types of reds and greens. Am I keeping the LEDs at too low an output?

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I would do some research on different layouts before I went with another lighting system. There are several reefers around here using LED's with very good results.

10. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Is this a reef breeders light? I'm going to buy one and test it out.. Only $450 vs what an 2xecotechs would cost me.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Well this is an all inclusive fixture. Plus, I would be trading it in, so no investment on my part.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

It is one