maxspect razor..10k or 16k??

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jmoney, Apr 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmoney

jmoney Astrea Snail

is there a real difference in the two? i am trying to decide on which ight to put on my 36 bowfront. i have it narrowed down to either the razor or the radion

2. Click Here!

3. FishThumb

FishThumb Astrea Snail

I was told when I bought my 16K, that it was better for corals.

4. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

10k is actually a better color temp for zooxanthellate critters, as it has more "usable" light for photosynthesis.

As one moves to the bluer color temps (16k, for example), you get a bit more "color pop" as this lighting nears the UV part of the spectrum.

So, I suppose one might say it's "better for corals" if you want them to pop more, which actually equates to it being "better for the viewer" than for the corals.

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

It really only matters if you plan on or think you might be using the light at it's full intensity.The 10k and 16k rating is what you would get if both the blue and white channels were running at 100%.If using the 16k version I believe you could run the whites at a higher intensity than the blues and still achieve a 10k spectrum but you wouldn't have the full intensity.Using this light over a 36bow it's unlikely that you'll need to run either channel at 100% Hope this helps,Dave

6. jmoney

jmoney Astrea Snail

Sure does! Thanks!

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I own the 16k and to be honest would have preferred the 10k. I run whites at a higher power than my blues and find it a bit too strong in the blue side still. The pics I've seen of the 10k I think it looks better IMO. That said I still love my Razor and recommend it highly.

8. Click Here!

9. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I have the 16k also and am very happy with it.I just checked the specs and the difference is the 10k comes with 6 more warm whites and six less royal blues than the 16k.So if it's a whiter look that you want or you would like a lower kelvin rating for faster coral growth the 10k could be better.I still think I would prefer the 16k.The nice thing about led is you can dial in one setting for a few hours of the day for better growth and dial in another for another part of the day to bring out the colors.

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

10K has more white leds 16 has more royal blues, so more "pop" with the 16K.

11. Ralphj

Ralphj Plankton

any pics that someone can post?

12. basile

basile Feather Duster

16 000k is for deep blue for sps coral far from the surface, the 10 000K have more white are good for LPS and some sps it a mix . Less blues.