Maxspect LED lamps to get new design

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The MAXSPECT LED lamps that caused quite a stir last month are going to get a redesign after feedback from the first customers. Apparently many thought the fans were too loud including the guy who shot this video below whom apparently is returning his. Well, for $400 US, I guess we should expect a couple bumps like this. Although we bet a few of us would pony up for one of these wild LED lamps, loud fans and all.

MAXSPECT LED Aquarium Light with Controller

2. Click Here!

3. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

They dont have proper cooling on them. They could've used 120mm ultra quiet cpu fans, that thing is loud. They need to use a bigger heatsink and copper heat pipe technology.

4. jakobv

jakobv Plankton

Hey guys, just registered. I googled maxspect to see if there were any reviews for the lamp, and this video link pops up. It is my lamp, and has not been returned. I am surprised as to this assumption? It is annoyingly noisy, but heat doesn't seem to be a problem. It has thermometer included and moniters both the LED temp and the controller/ballast temp and therefore I know that it is rearly above 30 degrees for either.

You can see a videoclip here: YouTube - MAXSPECT 110 w LED on a 160 litre marine tank

It is true that they are looking into the noise thing, and I am apparently the first person to purchase this. There are sending a new set of fans, and other than the noise, I am very happy. It is very cheap and makes, what I feel, a better light than my 150w HQi with two 24w t5 tubes. It is the 110w model. I have a 60 cm high tank and it reaches every corner and the bottom easily. In short; I am happy. Once I get these bloody fans swapped. I made a temporary modification to the fans which can also been seen on youtube.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey thanks for posting. The information I had received on 1st post was 2nd hand - so the word 'apparently' was used as I could not confirm. Glad to hear you like it. I would love to know more about your experience with it. Any details and new pics/videos you could post would be great. Did you get the new fans yet?

6. jakobv

jakobv Plankton

Just an update: It seems that they are getting a new ballast done which will have silent fans and also have the fans on the light changed. I have not recieved them but they are in the mail. I will change them when I get them, but I doubt they will be as silent as the ones I have on now. I have, since then, also changed the fans on the ballast, as it was also very noisy.

The light itself is good, but I have since then added a 10.000K white t5 14w tube I had, because I felt it was too blue/purple. It has done wonders for the colors. If I could choose again I would choose the 160w version, as it is obvious on one Galaxea that it is not receiving sufficient light proving that it gives less light than my 150w HQi. Obviously, as it uses half of the energy. Overall, I am happy with it, but think it is stupid not to provide silent fans from the beginning. Also, I feel that the blue light is only good as a colour enhancer and doubt its actual light output. this means that the 110w probably could have been spent better, since I think it is way too blue. It is obvious that the 3w cree LEDs are much brighter than these, but it is still and improvement over my HQI as it reaches many more places and corners of the tank in ways that my HQI could not.

Also, interestingly, the algaes on the tank sides have decreased significantly since I changed to LED.

My soft corals of disc annemones and Clavularia are much better off in the new light, and my Ricorida Florida are gaining new brighter colours, which could be that they were not getting too intense light before. My Galaxea is the only one not thriving, which is little suprise to me. My Caulastrea are doing great and so are all three types of Euphyllia.

Hope this is sufficient info. I will give an update later.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Jakob! I appreciate your updates on this lamp. Your observations on corals is a good direction. I would love to hear more about coral growth down the road.

Funny, I just stumbled on this MAXSPECT LED news today:

New Silent LED Fan is release on 15/11/2009. Complete solve the noise and the sound just like a Computer Fan sound~ Very silent now! Must lower sound than chiller fan!

8. Click Here!

9. smlosco

smlosco Astrea Snail

:d

where can you buy these? these light seem god to grow coral for a 24" deep tank :D?

10. jakobv

jakobv Plankton

They can be bought from fish-street.com. A lamp like mine costs 285 dollar.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Does fish-street ship to the USA? I was under the impression they would not or it was cost-prohibitive.

12. smlosco

smlosco Astrea Snail

They wont ship to us in the first place because the light requires a 220v outlet and in the states & canada our outlets are set for 110V I was told this by a representative of fish-street. So unfortunaly this light is not meant for us :( but if you want you can always look at these Eco-Lamp LEDS

Eco-lamps ONLINE SHOP

and they come with 110V for us :D