Maxspect G2 170W or Key K3 LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by littlea8, Feb 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. littlea8

littlea8 Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

Marineland - Smart Design. Superior Performance.

check these out... these are the ones i picked up over a month ago. they light up the whole basement i'm gonna start a tanning booth lol. all jokes aside they seem to do the trick in my 55g. It has only been about 2 months now but everything is growing nicely 3 frags and I even have coraline growing. I think these are a bit less then the site you posted.

4. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

5. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

of the two you posted i would go with the Maxspect. I have heard good things about that brand and have never even heard of the other brand.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

The G2 has awesome reviews. I don't know anything about the K3 though, it looks like it just came out 10 days ago. I'd guess no one has one yet. The marineland may be a nice fixture, but it isn't really in the same league. Definitely won't sut it for an sps tank, only 80mmol par reading @18 inches form here :Exclusive first unboxing of the Reef Capable LED fixture from Marineland

I don't have the maxspec par reading on hand, but know they are quite capable for SPS. The par with standard optics was a few times higher than that, at that difference, but optics kits are available is you need to punch down further.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

10. littlea8

littlea8 Astrea Snail

The only problem I have with the orphek is that the only mounting option is a hanging kit and I do not want to hang my fixture. Is the orphek better than the maxspect?

Here is what the supplier said about the K3 in comparison to the maxspect:

So far, we think KEY K3 is better, duo to it has rational temperature control. G2 may have quality problem after using half year, specially its power control supply. Principles of both design are different, K3 is passive temperature control, G2 is active temperature control, this is why G2’s main fan will be simply run out after one year, because it runs every second. K3 fan runs when light temperature reaches 45 +/-5 degrees or room temperature reaches 35 +/-5 degrees.
    KEY K3 with new dimmable function, which is better than G2. If you choose CREE version, K3 cree version is much cheaper than G2 cree version.
    G2 is more friendly use and better look.

11. littlea8

littlea8 Astrea Snail

The K3 is also less expensive with cree chips and is dimmable.

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

If you want to save cash, how big is that tank you want to put leds on?
    If its the tank in your avatar 3 boostled par 30s would work