Maxijet Keeps bowing bubbles

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by 1fishyguy, Nov 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

So my Maxijet today just started spitting air bubbles out every 5 min or so.. whats causing this or how do i fix it?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I have a MJ600 that does that. I just ignore it- bubbles don't hurt anything. The only cause I can think of is that O2 may be precipitating out of solution in the pump, possibly because of the pump temp, as there is no direct source of air.

4. 1fishyguy

hmm ok.. Never had an issue till i unpluged it last night for a water change and then turned it back on today..

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Have you tried unplugging it again? Sometimes they'll run backwards after being restarted :)

6. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

its due to cavitation, my 1200 was doing it, so i replaced the propeller with a 600 one, seemed to fix it.

also try lowering it in the water more, the deeper, the more pressure, which makes it harder to cavitate

7. 1fishyguy

Im gonna guess the depth is the issue its pretty close to the top.. although it always was before i had problems.. ill try checking both. I use a maxi jet 1200 to pump my water changes in and that pump is brand new maybe ill just swap em out :)

8. Click Here!

9. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

Unless your aquarium is 15 feet deep, the difference in atmospheric pressure at the top or bottom is negligible. If you have a lot of surface agitation, it could be sucking a little air. Try moving it down just a couple of inches and see if that makes a difference. Also, my 1200 has a cap on the top, and sometimes it will get a little air trapped in it when it's out of the water, and will bubble for a while until all the air dissipates.

10. 1fishyguy

Thanks Guys problem solved. Think moving it down a lil and having a lil air in it that needed to get out was the issue