Maxi jet mod reviews

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by kss2801, May 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

i put one on my mj 1200 and its putting out a crazy amount of flow over a very wide area i realy like them

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  4. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

I'm getting the pump and mod for 35. i was thinking i would the standard mount, but change the suction cups to the ones i got with my return pump. those are huge and hold very strongly.

It is going to be hidden so it the look doesn't matter too much.
    I'm still pretty undecided but i have a while to think about it before i buy it.
    what is a good average turn over to have? for mostly LPS/ softies? few easy SPS?

thanks for the link. i was thinking of using the mount.

thanks. sounds good.

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Been doing some research, IMO, I'd go with 2 of theseHydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerheadinstead of the 2 maxi jet with the mods. The maxi jet mods put out too much flow for a predominantly softie tank. It may even hinder the sustainability of some LPS (that don't like too much flow). It's also a few dollars cheaper and a bit more of a reputable brand. Also, the evo's have a new design eliminating the clicking noise IF you do decide to use a wave-maker. The K's do have a significantly lower amount of flow but the ideal amount for a 80gal system IMO.
    EDIT: Price went up today lol. It now a bit more expensive than the mjs

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  6. kss2801

I was thinking either one maxi jet or two K's. i could even use the 1600gph impeller on the maxi jet.
    what is a good turn over number for my tank. would a 1400/1050 gph K be enough along with the 600 gph i have already?

7. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

I bought 2 of these a while back for my 90g and they are now sitting in my basement. I had 2 major complaints about them:

1) The flow that they generate is not ideal for a reef tank, in that it is a very concentrated stream rather than a broad, gentler flow. So in order to use them properly, you have to bounce the flow off the glass walls of the aquarium, and even then the flow is too much in some areas and not enough in others.

2) They are large, and kind of eyesores in the tank.

With this in mind, I would personally try the Korallia evolution if you want something relatively inexpensive, good flow, and usable on a wavemaker (personally, though, I got a Vortech instead).

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

so i recently had the same desire to get one of the algae cleaners sure flow upgrades and the magnet. i wound up going to local fish stores and found one that sold both the algae cleaners sure flow upgrade as well as Eco Mod upgrade. i wound up getting the Eco version and didnt spend the $30 on the magnet.

the eco version supposedly does 2000GPH and i believe it to be true. i intend to post a review of this product. in my case i superglued the Mj1200 to a $10 magfloat and its working fine. the thing is on the left side of my tank (75gal) about 6" below the surface (otherwise it was creating so much surface agitation it was actually sucking air) and it alone was enough to leave no deadspots in the entire front or sides of the tank. the way i have my rock work its actually taking care of the back too. its a cheap way to achieve a huge flow output.

dislikes: cant put these mj1200's on a wavemaker, it rattled alot the first week i had it until a slime coat built up around the magnet...

1 person likes this.
  10. kss2801

i was wondering about the flow pattern. i want nice wide flow.
    Definitely no vortech for me. those go for about $3000 TT. down here.

that was good thinking with the mag float idea. i look forward to seeing your review.

11. kss2801

This thread is pretty much 50/50 on whether to get the maxi jet. thanks for all the responses so far. K+
    i was thinking that it may be too much concentrated flow for LPS though. i was thinking of getting a evo 1400 instead.
    this would put me 2000 gph total flow, which is 25X turnover. should this be good enough?

12. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

25x turnover is fine for LPS, but if you want sps then you will need more flow aimed around the SPS, but away from the LPS. It's a little tricky to get it all dialed in when you have a lot of SPS and a good amount of LPS as well.

FWIW, the eco mod MJ modification I do believe is 1600 gph, and not 2000gph like was said earlier. The eco mod I have running in my tank opposite the mj mod with the 1600 gph prop sure seem to flow the same amount. the props are also very similar in regard to pitch and diameter, so the 1600 gph seems to be the actual amount the eco mod makes.