Maxi jet mod reviews

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by kss2801, May 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

These problems don't sound too bad. Major concerns would be the noise and if it just randomly starts spinning backwards, but it doesn't have to be dead quiet, it's not in my room or anything like that and correcting the spin wouldn't be too bad.
    Does it just randomly reverse direction or is it only on restarting?

2. Click Here!

3. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Absolutely!!! LOL! Glad to know I am not the only one that has problems like that.;D

Mine only did it on re-starting. As long as they were on, it was fine, but I turn my powerheads off to feed. So sometimes once a day, I was having to deal with it, but it didnt always do it....seem to be pretty random.

1 person likes this.
  4. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Same here before I put them on a wave maker.

5. kss2801

Thanks a lot for the help. I think i will be getting one of these. it sounds really great for the price.

6. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I've had one of these mods on my MJ-1200 for a couple of weeks now. At first I put the bigger propeller, but it was way too much flow. So I had to use the one that comes already assembled. It is incredible how much flow you can get out of, probably any MJ that's compatible with it.

I'm extremely happy with it. It is a little shaky, but it doesn't bother me. No noise problems.

- Mag.

1 person likes this.
  7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

They are not horrible issues, but annoyances.

I have 2 on my 200g tank. One that si pretty old, like a couple years, is silent, so issues, but the other one that was the same age started buzzing/ humming. I took it apart, cleaned it and the same thing occured. I tried the 1600 gph prop, and it still made noise. I replaced the MJ1200 with a new one, and that didn't fix it either regardless of 2100 or 1600 gh prop. I got a new MJmod, and both props in the new pump body still made this noise.

So I won an eco mod kit in our local reef club raffle and put that in. It is quiet now, but with all the out of balance props and stuff I see on these, you will have issues sooner or later.

A korallia evolution or Sicce voyager pump will do pretty much everything that the mj mods will except can't quite put out the max gph that the mj mods can do. Now the 2 options I listed can and do take wavemakers perfectly. And they are much smaller and use less watts than the mj modded pumps.

My only issue with the K's ( and presumably the sicce's) is that they can't go through my tank walls that are about 3/4" thick. That is why I still use the MJ mods. I have 2 suregrip 100 magnets that hold to my tanks walls.

Suregrip 50's can't even do the trick. Maybe I will get an evo or voyager and mod up a mount to attach to my suregrip magnets.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

if its a really small fish(like clown goby) or a poor swimmer and its gets real close or perches on it it may have trouble getting off larger fish like tangs are usually ok unless they have one foot in the grave

1 person likes this.
  10. kss2801

k+ A little shaking should not be a problem. What size tank was it too much for?
    k+
    I will be happy with a couple years of noise free operation from this pump. Are you saying that some of these pumps have manufacturing defects and it is basically just up to luck if you get a good one? or do some just go bad after time?
    I was looking at the evolution 1050, but even though the price difference isn't that much, the difference in flow is. i might have to buy two of those. right now i have 2 320gph resun power heads in my 80 gallon tank. I don't plan to keep a lot of sps but i still want a few. i don't know if one 1050 would be enough. would it?
    i really don't plan on having a wave maker either.

Ok cool. my smallest fish would probably be occ. clowns

11. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

It's hard to say whether these just get OOB after a while or what. I know the MJ mod kit, even new was an issue, and going to a different brand "fixed" the issue.

Some of these props have the holes not 100% centered. If you can visually see it it is drilled off center, it will most likely be Out Of Balance.

My 2 occellaris have no issues with swimming near the pump.

The only fish that did was a 3.5" hippo tang that was not healthy. Even a not great swimming but healthy fish should have no issue with getting sucked to a MJ mod.

While it may seem that a couple korallias or sicces might be more money, by the time you add up a mj mod $15, a mj1200 ($25) and a sure flow magnet ($25 for a suregrip 50, $35 for a 100) you are at 65 or so. 2 K evo's will run right around that, maybe a little more depending on size, and both the evos or sicces will use less watts than 1 mj mod, and make more flow.

Did i mention the mj mods are big and ugly?

1 person likes this.
  12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

1 person likes this.