Maxi-Jet and noise??

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Birchell, Jan 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

Last night was a long one. I could not get to sleep because my maxi-jets were making a rattling, almost grinding noise. I took one apart and cleaned it, but not change. When I first got them, like a week ago, they were nice a quite. Could the wave maker system be to hard on them?? I have the "natural wave" timer. Is this what maxi-jets do??? If so im getting another brand. This tank is in my bedroom and I dont want a noise like that all night, lol.

Michael

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

When ever you have an alteration to your pumps/powerheads, you are asking for trouble. The stop and start action is hard on powerheads and pumps because of the impellers and magnets...not saying that that is the cause of the noise but it may contribute to it. That is why I like to keep my powerheads continually running to cut down on the rigor of shutting them off and starting them up again.

4. Birchell

Birchell Gigas Clam

thanks. ive notice that the noise has gone away after taking the pumps off the timer. Live and learn I guess.