Matted (Aiptasia Eating) Filefish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by LCP136, Nov 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I decided to try again and get another filefish. This one is FAR less skittish and began swimming around as soon as it got in the tank, but since the first few minutes it has fallen into a similar pattern as the first one. He stays right near the back glass, which I can't understand, and hides under the powerheads and one big toadstool just like the first one. The biggest difference is that the first one tried to jump every time somebody approached the tank and this one is very calm. He also seems to like his own reflection, which leads me to wonder if they do better in pairs. Still haven't seen him touch aiptasia or majano, but I hope he settles in and gets to work.

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Also, he seems to be picking at microalgae on the back glass. Will these guys usually graze?

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

just curios, are your lights off?

5. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

No, I didn't turn them off. I turn my lights off if I add a fish that the others are going to pick on, but the filefish is so different nobody pays him any attention. By the way, he's doing great. Not jumpy, not shy, swimming around the tank now, but I still haven't seen him touch any nems.

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

its only when you get the fish because you like the fish, will it eat what the bad stuff, not when you buy it just cuz you want it to eat it ;) lol

7. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Haha. For the record I love the fish, but I also wish it would get to work...

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

For a month I didn't see any change in the appies. Then all of a sundden they we just gone. He'll start, but it may take a bit.

----------------
    Sent from Tapatalk, so please forgive grammar and spelling :)

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

IMO, your stuck because, we know that not feeding as much will "force" the filefish onto its "natural" diet, but underfeeding causes stress, possibility for diseases, and bullying. for me, its the fish before the nem's.

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Mine were fed well on mysis. No need to starve. At first we noticed the appies looking haggard so we were thinking they were working in them. The next thing we knew, they were gone except a couple of large ones. They never ate those.

----------------
    Sent from Tapatalk, so please forgive grammar and spelling :)