Master Mechanic offering free repair advice;

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by alpha_03, Apr 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

hey man... I have an 02 impala that the coolant light came on, then check engine. checked coolant and filled it light still on. I drove home to see it leaking from under the engine. Can not see where due to a metal panel under the engine. I looked under the hood and did not see any leaking hose. Car was off so i started it. A hose eith leading to the radiator or engine (cant remember but can check) was compressed as if it was sucking but nothing comes through. It drives at a fine temp when its full but hot onces it leaks through most of it. Ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Xmetal- ignore the grounds- the speedo runs on a cable I believe (according to the data I have)

Set up is like this:

From the speedo to the transmission is a cable, this cable runs in between the speedo head and the transmission, at the end of the cable, where it enter the transmission there is a gear that drives the cable and there by causing the speedo to indicate vehilce speed. one of these three parts is bad.

There is also a driven gear on the transmission that runs the speedo cable gear, it is rare but this too could be defective.

But if this only happens every so often, I will bet it is the speedo head that is the problem.

4. alpha_03

Nittygritty, what engine is in this car?

5. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

its a base model so the 3.4l i believe

6. alpha_03

Ok, we know you have a coolant leak- so for right now, do not drive the car, as you can cause serious damage to the engine. As well, engine coolant cant reach very extreme temps, use great caution- do not open the radiator cap while the engine is hot.

Since I can not see where the leak is from, I can only offer this information:

First make sure to keep the coolant level coorect (if possible) either have the car towed to a repair shop, or, with great caution drive the car there if it is less then 1 mile from your home.

If it isn't an obvious coolant hose that is blown out, then it can be many things leaking.

Does the engine have a growling sound from the frontal area when running?

When you open the hood, is there a line of discoloration (similar to the color of your coolant) on the inside of the hood itself- from coolant being sprayed upwards?

let me know.

7. NittyGritty

NittyGritty Millepora

I will start it up tomorrow and let you know.
    maybe take some pictures.

8. Click Here!

9. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Sweet AWD fun it sounds like^ by the end of the summer my build will be done and its going to be BIG!!! lol like a GTX35r build big.

10. alpha_03

Sounds like a starter problem, but more information is required- what happens when you try to start the car- does the engine turn over at all?

11. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Did you check your coolant over flow tank? if that is full it will overflow on the ground or your metal plate also a good sign that your thermostat might be stuck closed. Does it get hot when you are idling and cool off when you drive?

12. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

It does turn over, it just wont fire up. It just sits there and cranks. But once it has cooled down again it starts up as normal.