Master Mechanic offering free repair advice;

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by alpha_03, Apr 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I have a 1991 Ford Explorer XLT with 93k miles with a 5 speed manual transmission. The problem is it doesn't like shifting into 1st, especially when cold, the other gears are fine and I can usually trick it into going into 1st when it acts up (by putting it into reverse, though that sometimes is an issue). Occasionally the check engine light come on but usually goes back off even before the car is turned off.
    The transmission has never slipped though, so what's going on?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ever change the trans fluid? Original clutch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

xmetal a bad battery, the physically battery in your car, will cause this- sounds like it is OEM battery- if not let me think on this.

any other symptoms of note?

5. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

The transmission fluid hasn't been changed but didn't smell bad, will try that though.
    I have no idea about the clutch, but I do have to push it to the floor to change gears....not so easy to do when I'm short.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Not OEM. Battery replaced last summer. I don't remember what it was, but I know it wasn't a cheap crummy battery. Sometimes one side of my car is colder or warmer than the other. Not due to sunlight. I mean air/heat. rear view mirror has a thing where it tints green when the lights are on. Sometimes it doesn't work but the light sensor does.

7. alpha_03

You have several probelms going on, but first and formost is the shifting issue. this a syncronizer issue, it is inherient of the T-5 trans that is in your explorer- I have the same truck- - few years newer, but the same thing- this is usually due to lack of service and /or poor shifting ability on the drivers part. but either way- syncro's are worn, one of two choices- replace the trans, or - rebuild it. the cost varies on this- it can get quite expensive. A check engine lamp that goes out on it's own is usually due to either an O2 sensor and/or an evap. problem. Make sure your gas cap is closed tightly. Give code data- then we can fix this too.

8. Click Here!

9. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

hydrolic clutch ? if so check arround the slave cylnder and the clutch master for fluid leaks also hop in car leave engine off and push clutch in slow to medium speed listen for a squaking or swooching sound kinda hard to explain i have had it happin quite a fiew times where the clutch master started allowing air in arround the shaft led to this exact problem

whats strange to me its only when its cold but thats usually when it happins if you have to push the peddal all the way to the floor to get into any gear thats what i would be looking at

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  10. alpha_03

It should smell horrible (85w/90w), you can't check it unless you basically drain the trans- there is no dip stick.

11. alpha_03

That is because of fluid/lubricant temperature- this greatly affects worn components and what they are able to do.

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

Yes Hydrolic clutch....just is worse when cold.
    Will check.