Master Mechanic offering free repair advice;

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by alpha_03, Apr 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

This isn't for one of the makes that you listed, but my speedometer will be inaccurate randomly. If I am going a steady speed, the needle will drop to almost 0 then go about 10mph over what it said I was going before it dropped. Prety much, it wiggles. Any quick fixes I can do? I have access to some stuff at a friend's place, but not much.

2004 KIA Optima EX 2.7L 6cyl 4A

2. Click Here!

3. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Auto Mechanic - In my opinion, one of the top 5 most important people to have as a friend or at least know someone you can trust.

In no particular order:
    Doctor
    Lawyer
    Computer Tech
    Carpenter/Plumber
    Auto Mechanic

It's a cool thing your doing man, thanks.

4. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

So true.... so very true.

----------------
    Sent from Tapatalk, so please forgive grammar and spelling :)

5. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

What other mods do you have. So you were using lower octane gas with an apr chip? That's could fowl your plugs 02 sensor ect. Best thing is to scan it and get some codes. Just my 2 cents. I am not a master mechanic but have been working on vdubs for over 10 years. Have owned 7. Anycase seems to be a few things going on. Do you have a boost gauge? Could be a leak as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ultramafic

ultramafic Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Mods are 3 inch turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, dogbone motor mounts, KW coilovers, apr high octane chip, diverter valve, sway bars. I usually have a CEL from my exhaust so its hard to tell unless i randomly have someone scar my cars codes. no boost gauge. I've been driving these things around for 13 years now, and all 8 cars i've owned have been a VW golf of some sort. It's just these newer ones with all their fancy shmancy electronics and sensors. makes me miss the caddy.

and alpha, how can i tell if the fan control module is shorting? just look for green water damage? is it the rectangular black box under the coolant bottle?

7. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Did u run lower octane gas with your chip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

Boost will suffer if pcm detects any detonation i wouldent think its related to the original problem .. check what alpha sead also for grins go start the car and wiggle the key a bit and see if your concern accurs also if you have tilt and the ignition switch is in the clumn activate thre tilt wheel up or down

with so manny things accuring at the same time im wondering if your losing voltage to the ignition switch or from it windows are usually on a accy circut cluster is usually on an ignition witch is leading me to b+ to an ignition switch or the switch itself

i hope this is some help

10. alpha_03

alpha_03 Bubble Tip Anemone

Guys, I am afk- ebay right now... :) BRB

Oh and xmetal- transmission speed sensor- do you have a check engine lamp?

11. ultramafic

ultramafic Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Might have figured this out...

While looking for the module alpha mentioned i noticed a really really rusted clamp on one of my hoses. Then right above that i noticed a coolant hose ripped completely in half. And what sits right below that coolant hose that pours out coolant when the thermostat opens? The alternator. I have to head in to work now but tomorrow morning i'm going to get some new hose. hopefully the alternator isn't on death row after its barage of coolant baths. I'll post back tomorrow after i "fix" everything. Thanks so much for all the help guys!

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Check engine light isn't lit. My remote codes change too. Just randomly happens and I have to reprogram them. Hapens once a month.