Massive! Hair algae problem...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by nyvw, Apr 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

My tank is about 3 months old now and is over run with hair algae.. [​IMG]

Im using rodi, havent checked it yet tds meter otw.. feed frozen and flakes. Im not sure if this is just a stage since the tank is only 3 months old but its really bad and looks like poop.. any ideas? I posted this with my phone so ill add more specs in a bit once im on my pc.

2. Click Here!

3. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

4. Reefling

Reefling Astrea Snail

are you doing water tests? cut down on lighting and feedings a bit if you can, other then that algae blooms are normal with a new tank. Get a couple mexican turbro snails and just ride it out

5. fragginawsome

fragginawsome Skunk Shrimp

6. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Yea i guess ill pick up some more turbos.. The best i can do now is api tst kit and its dam near impossible to tell what the phosphate reading is onthis thing but i can tell its not 0.. One concern i do have though is that i only have 40psi going into my rodi unit.. dont you really need like 60-70 to get a good use from it?

7. vtecintegra

vtecintegra Fire Worm

I just put a booster pump on my rodi. It's a lot more efficient and makes the water a lot faster. Not the end of the world though if you only have 40 psi. I went a couple years at 45 psi.

You should check out a Hanna phosphate meter if you want an accurate number. IMO you really need to knock out nitrate and phosphate to get the upper hand on the algae.

8. Click Here!

9. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

1) Start running GFO
    2) Manually remove as much algae as possible
    3) Add herbivores (snails)
    4) Limit feeding. Be careful with frozen food, I wouldn't feed it daily in a new tank. You will be able to feed more once the issue is resolved.

Using just one of the above four methods will slow down algae growth, but may not get completely rid of it. Use all four and the algae is doomed!

This is a standard methodology. It almost always works.

10. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

I was using frozen as my main source of food... Ill start using the flake and pellets every other day and see if that helps. I was thinking about getting a gfo reactor but idk if thats neccesary yet.

So it looks like an order from reefcleaners is due!

11. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

It's a good idea to treat your tank as if po4's are always present. Which they usually are anyways. Same goes for excess nutrients. Your success in overcoming HA will totally depend on your exporting/importing-of the above 2. Take away the algae's food source and it will starve to death. Using something that *eats* up the nutrients/phosphates faster then the HA is by far the quickest, and most healthiest for your tank.
    There are many methods used. Do you use a refugium of some kind? What is your form of filtration?

I'm sorry but *almost and always* shouldn't even be in the same sentence. LMAO!

12. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

I would do some research on hydrogen peroxide.