Massive Die Off in 2 Tanks

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Blade_Runner, May 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I've been out of town on business to return to a massive die off in 2 tanks. I think some turbo snails I introduced a couple of weeks ago had a nasty bug on them. I got back to see some sort of Ick type infection running through my 210 and 72. I started antibiotics, but thus far I've lost

Emperior
    Clown Trigger
    Double Saddle Butterfly
    Clown
    Power Blue Tang

RIP

I don't think I'm done either. F-ing snails...

I've never had anything happen like this in a Marine tank. Aside form the antibiotics and major water changes I'm not even sure what to do. Any recommendations? I may even Copper the FOWLERs and worry about the LR later.

I'm totally bummed about loosing my buddies. I've had the Emperior, Trigger and Clown for 5ish years and raised them all from juv. Not to mention that the replacement value is easily over 5 bills. :(

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Wow Blade_Runner that sucks can you take all of your live rock and any coral out of your 72 and put them in your 210 and then set up your 72 as a hospital tank? and put your remaining fish in that and treat them there?

Karma for your loss I know how it feels :( ........ John

4. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I've got a 55 set up as a hospital. the big trouble is in the 210. I may move the survivors (If I can catch them) to the 55 tomorrow.

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Good luck I hope everything works out for you ........... John

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

How are the water params? Did it get too hot with the weather while you were away?

I think it is a bit unusual for ich to take out so many fish so quickly, isn't it?

You need to try and make a diagnoses before treating everything, that may do more harm than good.

You say it is ich-like...how? Describe please...and how long were you away....

Can we get more details? sorry for all the ????'s....

Sorry for your losses as well:-[

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya...i just had to turn my ac on high...i had my heater set to like 74 and it is 81.5...god...that hot :(

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Everyone had a thin white "film" on them. Especially the eyes.

Add a Lion to the list...

I've got to hit the road again. The survivors of the 210 in the office are being moved to the 55 hospital. The 72 looks like it is recovering. I think I'm going to have to tear the 210 down and start over.

1 person likes this.
  10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

dammm man thats sucks, karma for u loss :(

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hi Blade_Runner The Thin white film sounds like Marine Velvet
    This is from http://www.seasky.org/aquarium/aquarium_diseases.html#Virus%20&%20Bacterial%20Infections

Marine Velvet Disease
    Other Names: Saltwater Ich, Coral Fish Disease, Oodinium, Amyloodinium Ocellatum
    Symptoms: Flicking and scratching against rocks and other surfaces, rapid breathing, tiny white spots covering the body that give it a white velvet appearance.
    Comments: This is without a doubt the most infectious and deadly marine fish disease. The tiny parasites multiply quickly and eventually move into the gill plates of the fish causing slow suffocation. It can easily spread to other fish in the tank. If not treated immediately, it can cause death in only a few days. Rapid treatment is mandatory for the survival of the fish.
    Treatment: Use copper-based medications to kill the amyloodinium parasites. In a reef tank environment, the infected fish must be moved to a hospital tank for treatment. Never add copper compounds to an aquarium containing invertebrates. Some new treatments have appeared on the market recently which claim to control parasites in the marine aquarium. Consult your local aquarium dealer for more information.
    Prevention: Insure good water quality and temperature parameters to prevent animals from getting stressed. Stress breaks down the protective mucous coating on a fish and allows parasites to gain a foothold. Additionally, any new fishes should be given a short freshwater bath and kept in a quarantine tank for two to three weeks before being introduced into the main aquarium. The use of an ultraviolet sterilizer has also been shown to help prevent outbreaks of this disease.

1 person likes this.
  12. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Well I'm back in town again. Add a Unicorn Tang and a Domino Damsel to the list even after being moved to the hospital. :(

Thanks Fletch. That sounds like the culprit. Now the question is, what to do about the empty 210 to make sure all the parasites are gone before I restock it?