Marty's 180g [My Elusive Shrimp]

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Marty, Feb 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/my-240-wall-re-build-144060-2.htmlOn a CL I don't think you need to worry about head pressure. The pump is essentially gravity fed and make sure the inlet and outlets match the pump for best performance. For my pump, the inlet is 2" and the outlet is 1.5" I ran my main CL on the bottom side of my tank. My tank is 8' long, so I was worried about flow on the opposite end. The Pump draws in water from one end (drilled with a 2" bulkhead) and I split in into 3 1" outlets at the opposite end.

If I were able to "do over" I would have split it in to four outlets spread across the whole length of the tank, rather than just one side, and added the wave-maker that would create the random flow. I didn't learn of the "sqiuds" or the Ocean motions until it was too late.

But you are on the right track.

Should be a link to my build, you can kinda see mine in there.

2. Click Here!

3. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Thanks for the heads up. Love your build by the way, I was checking it out last night. Fantastic.

For sure my diameters may change until I figure out whose pump to buy and what my flow needs will be. :) I feel like a kid in a candy store. :)

4. Likeajeenyus

5. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Excellent. I was just looking at pumps and two of these would get me all the flow I could ever ask for. At 180 gallons 7200 gph flow would be awesome, not even including sump at about 1800. Thanks!

I'm looking at some youtube plumbing videos now, so I can noodle that a bit.

6. Marty

Marty Stylophora

So here is a better sketch of what I am thinking about for my tank drill...

[​IMG]

The Closed Loop #2 is an optional at this point. It is based on what pumps I buy for flow. If I go lower flow pumps, the extra CL would be nice.

The electrician comes next week.

7. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Decided on my closed-loop pumps and at the output they have I decided to go with two pumps, see below...

Gold Snapper/Dart Hybrid Pump

[​IMG]

Features:

Convertible between two models
    Low wattage draw
    Cooler due to built-in heat sink fins
    Quieter due to heavy-duty core support
    More durable due to copper in the windings
    Gold Barracuda/Hammerhead Hybrid Pump

Features:

Convertible between two models
    Low wattage draw
    Cooler due to high efficiency Baldor® motor
    Quieter due to heavy-duty core support
    More durable due to copper in the windings

Model Flow Rates Max Head Watts Inlet Outlet
    Snapper/Dart 2,300/4,300 gph 12 ft 94/169 2" 1-1/2"

Now I have to decide if I want outlet towards the top of the tank with the two SCWD return near the bottom, or vice versa.

Getting a new sub-panel put in the garage next week so I can free up some breakers. It is much needed and the biggest hurdle to actually beginning work on the build. :(

8. Click Here!

9. Likeajeenyus

10. HeiHei29er

HeiHei29er Gigas Clam

Looks to be a great build. You'll have to post some demo pics. ;)

How big is your sump going to be? 1,800 gph seems like a lot of flow for a sump. You usually shoot for 3-5x sump volume. So, 250 gph on a 50 gallon sump as an example.

EDIT: Went back and saw it's a 65 gallon. I think you'd be fine at 200-300 gph for a sump/return flow.

11. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Yeah, that's pretty close to what I'm shooting for, the two pumps I just bought are for the closed loop so it is flow only, no sump action for that H2O. ;) And there will be a bunch of demo pics. :)

12. Marty

Marty Stylophora

=) I am having a hard time tempering my excitement. ;D