Maroon Clows and Blue Velvet Damsels

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by zcparrott, Aug 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zcparrott

zcparrott Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello Everyone,

I was just at my LFS and they had a really pretty Blue Velvet Damsel for sale, so I thought I would come home and do some research before I buy considering I added the Maroon Clowns before doing any research.

Right now the Maroons are alone in my tank so the Velvet would be the third fish that I would add, would this be a problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

How large are the Maroons, and how long have they been in the tank?

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well depending on your future stocking yes it could.
    What sized tank is it??

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1

Damsels might be one of the only fish that will stand a chance in the long run against the Maroons. A young Damsel may not do well if the clowns are mature or close to it.

I had to remove my Damsel because my Black and White Clowns kept trying to kill it but my tank is only 28 gallons.

The bigger the tank the better.

1 person likes this.
  6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

With the maroon clowns, I'd probably stay away from nippers like damsels but that's my opinion.

7. zcparrott

zcparrott Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Right now the Maroons are about 1-1.5in and the Velvet is about 2.5-3in. The Maroons have been in the tank a little over 2 weeks.

The tank is a 55 and right now it is a Fowlr but I would eventually like to venture into keeping corals, but that will be way further down the road. But, as of now I'm looking into getting a dwarf angel, a fairy or flasher wrasse, an assessor, and I like the idea of getting a pistol shrimp that is paired with a watchman goby. These are the fish that I am really interested in, but the wife is the one who fell in love with the blue velvet. So would this combination work or should I just forget about the blue velvet?

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Well the Dwarf Angel, Wrasses, and Assesor are all more on the peaceful side (with the Dwarf Angel likely being the most aggressive of those, but still less than either the Clowns or Damsel). A 55 is limited to what Fairy Wrasses you can keep, basically the smaller 3-3.5" Fairy's in the Lubbocki complex. Basically any Flasher will work though, although you will want to get them added sooner than later. Same with the Assessor. They are a peaceful fish, and would likely be bullied if added to late.

If it was me, I would hold off on the Damsel until maybe it was the last add. Next I would do the Assessor, then Flasher, then Fairy, then Dwarf Angel. The Clowns really should be added last, but since they are smaller and not fully mature, you may be ok.

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Just saying, those damsels have vibrant colors as juvies but turn into a dull brownish color as adults....