Maroon Clown FOTM Nov '08

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by missionsix, Nov 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Common name: Maroon clown, spinecheek anemonefish, yellowstripe maroon.
    Scientific name: Premnas biaculeatus
    Origin: Indo pacific.
    Max size: About 6 inches
    Reef safe: Yes. Actually, a really good addition. Can/will form symbiotic relationships with anemones, un-suspecting corals and, even powerheads.
    There are charts and suggested/recommended anemones to pair up with the maroon clown. However, I have seen maroons (clowns in general) host anemones that come from parts of the ocean that don't even have clownfish. Mine for example is hosting a bubble coral shown in the pic above. I would suggest a "bubble anemone" for a good host to the maroon clown. An anemone is not required to keep a happy/healthy maroon clown. Here's a chart for reference.
    Clownfish Anemone Compatibility Chart
    Attitude: Known to be the nastiest of the clowns. Not compatible with other clowns. Mine measures up to about 1-3/4" and I've had it since it was muuuuuccchhh smaller. I have not had the pleasure to experience this "bad boy" attitude as of yet. It really only seems to squabble with my leopord wrasse when it comes close to it's bubble coral. Quickly submissing when the leopord backs him up. It has also learned that when my grn. mand. dragonette makes a pass to completely ignore it now. I would assume that the fishes territoriality would drastically change when paired up and during mating/breeding.
    Diet: Meaty goods. Mine doesn't shy away from nori and other seaweed particles floating through the water column at feeding time.
    Breeding in captivity: Known as one of the easiest clownfish to breed in captivity. Even without a host anemone present. Since, I'm not a breeder and most info will be referenced, I will leave it at that. If you decide to get into breeding, info is easily found on the web.
    Personal opinions: I find this to be one of the most attactive of the clownfish species. I particularly like the manner in which it swims. Looks like a shark cruising through the water. The deep maroons and subtle black markings along with bright white or gold bands give this fish a distinct look. An easy fish to keep that readily accepts feeding/food offered in the home aquarium.
    Weird/cool facts: They can change sex. They grab food and take it back to their host. It's un-known whether they do this to feed the host. Or, to stash away a cache. There urine is beneficial to some un-suspecting host corals. It's known as a spinecheek because they have some pretty nasty looking spikes at their gill plates.
    It's actually a damselfish.

Thanks for reading. Please add a pic of your maroon clown if you have one. Share additional experiences to.
    EDIT: I forgot to share this thread from camilsky.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/tropical-fish/photo-trick-clown-fish-bta-44169.html
    This has worked for a close friend of mine.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
    3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Great job Mission.

1 person likes this.
  4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

My maroon I got when it was small as well. Not knowing about compatibility with anenomes, I purchased a condy anenome a few weeks later. Within two days, she was hosting it. She does bring back food to it, and I believe it is to actually feed it. That would make sense. Here is food for protection and a place to sleep.

Mine will charge and bite me if I get anywhere close to it's home. It does not hurt (yet), but someday it will. She will chase away other fish but will back down quickly if challanged. That will change with size I believe.

And Casey brings up the two reasons I bought mine. The way it swims and the way it looks. I love the coloration and movement. But the personality is one of it's cons IMO. It is not a friendly fish. However, that did not deter me in making my purchase and I love this fish. It is one of the most attractive around IMO. Here is my pic.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I believe that the condy is one of the "not likely to host" anemones.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

You are correct. When I read that, I was amused. Mainly at me. I was soooooo clueless. I really, really thought it did not matter. An anenome was an anenome. The clown I bought must have been tank raised. Put together with it's age, it just plain did not know any better. Much like the dufus that purchased her.

7. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Aw man I was going to do the FOTM. Well maybe next month! Here is a pic of my maroon clown. He is kinda shy becuase my perc picks on him! They used to get along great but now my maroon can do no right by the perc.

[​IMG]

Nice job Casey!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Did they just become a mated pair?

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK....CM, you do December and I'll do January. Deal?

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

12. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Deal!!