Maroon Breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by sterling, Feb 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

We currently have a 55g aquarium and our maroon clown is about 2 and a half inches.
    has anyone had success attempting to pair maroon clowns? How'd you do it? and what do you advise?

2. Click Here!

3. Vkkesu

Vkkesu Spaghetti Worm

I'm not sure how different they are than other clowns, but ours have been laying eggs for years. I raised freshwater angels for 2 years and was tired of the work so never go into the saltwater babies. Talk w/ Jay on saltcity.org . He raises and sells occell. clowns and has been for a while. He might have info.

4. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

Just curious. not to threadjack, but have you had success breeding baby maroon clowns?? A buddy of mine's lays eggs often, but we cant get them tolive past the metamorphisis stages.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Same as any other clown. Maroons are actually easier if anything.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You need a seperate tank with just a heater and an airstone. Then, you have to culture your own live rotifers. It's the only food that will sustain them. Most fail due to not meeting the fry's dietary needs.

7. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

we actually have a seperate tank with just a heater and air stone. we also culture our own rotifers, but no matter what, they dont seem to make it past day 8-10. what about water changes??

8. Click Here!

9. sterling

How about this guys.... please tell me the best way to introduve another maroon to my 55 gallon. The maroon i have is about 2.5inches long and he/she is very aggresive? Would i go smaller or bigger? i have two bubble tip anenomes and he/she occupies both alreadyl moreso one than the other. Would i put the new maroon in a seperate container in the tank to divide them? what are my options for an effective pairing? other fish allowed to be in the tank? gimme some feedback ladies and gents

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I had an established maroon in my tank for 4 years, she is well over 6" long now. I bought her when she was about 2" long. My gf bought me a baby maroon for my bday, he's about 1.5" long. I put him into a small plastic hamster ball until the big one got used to him. If you just dump a new one in, the established one will most likely beat him up. After 4 days in the ball, I let the little one out and the big one took to him right away with so much as nipping at him. I wonder if the big one is being submissive though, she is showing no serious dominant habits at all. She even lets him sleep in the anemone. Remember though, generally bigger ones that have been alone in the absense of a male will be female. Smaller ones, less than 2" will almost always be male. If the male becomes dominant, he will become the female. One of two things may happen.
    1. The "new female" will kill the "old female" if that one doesn't submit to the other.
    2. The "old female" will become submissive. It's unknown if a female can revert back to male.
    If my pair starts to spawn, I'll let you know. But as of now, they have bonded very nicely. Maybe once the little one matures more, he will spur the spawning cycle.

11. sterling

thats awesome dude; im soo stocked on trying it... thats great info, please do tell me what happens with yours.
    I think that i will probably do the same thing as you, cause my maroon is pretty aggressive.
    keep me posted

12. wigger

wigger Plankton

We have had a maroon clown fish for the last five years,we bought her as a pair which always fought, so we figure they were both female. Now she has been alone in the tank for several years. We upgraded our tank from fish only to a mixed tank with coral. We've decided to introduce a new gold striped maroon clown fish from the local fish store that's just over an inch long, to the tank. We've isolated the new clown in a seperate floating acrylic container, last night and turned off the lights. Right now it's about 1:00pm and the first clown fish is swimming round and round the new one and really realy working the tank. as if to say it's mine, but not really rushing the fish, and the new clown has still not showed submission. Also, they don't seem to be showing aggression towards eachother, could they have made they're peace in the night? Should I let the gold striped maroon out of it's container to see how they act together? Or should we wait to actually see him roll over and show submission? If the gold striped maroon has been in alone in a tank at the store for an unknown amount of time alone in the tank, is it posssible it has turned female? It's still quite light in colour, especially in comparison to our other clown, and quite small. We are hoping it's still juvenile, male or unsexed?