Marinelnd reef capable LEDs... Impressed!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mdlinkous, Feb 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdlinkous

mdlinkous Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

After reading mixed reviews, I bought the 24 inch for my 54g corner bow front. I upgraded from a 30 inch coralife compacts that was 130 watts... 65w actinic and 65w 10k.

Granted I have no corals but have done well with anemones, this light is tons brighter than the coralife. I bought it under the assumption I was going to either return it or have to add another unit to it. Pleased this wasn't the case.

Only having 30 inches to work with on the top of my tank, I was going to buy the 24 and then the to go behind it. This light may not be for everyone and here are improvements that could be made. An integrated dual timer would make it THE BOMB... Maybe future models will have it.

But for me... I am getting more light using tons less energy.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

congrats man, yeah they are new so no one really has reviews for corals to much..from what they say on the specs they should do the job but you never know..

are you going to be putting some corals in eventually??

4. mdlinkous

I would love too... Just need some advice on what to try first.... Something that is easy and that requires low to moderate light so I can see for sure how the LEDs are.

It is unfortunate, but I kind of live in a rural area with not many fish stores... Most are just that... They have a good supply of fish and inverts, but not many people dabble in corals so they cannot offer knowledgable advice. I would have to travel about an hour or order them.

Can you recommend a beginner coral or give advice. I see you have a lawnmower blenny.... They are cool. Had one a few years ago but had trouble getting him to eat good. My little boy loved him.

5. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

i and plenty others would be more than happpy to frag some of our stuff for you..any mushrooms, zoas, green star polyps, toadstools, polys, palyps, any other soft coral,,you could even prolly get a low light lps to see as well..im sure the lights are fine for everything, but would be iffy for now with sps..

6. mdlinkous

I would love to try something sometimes... Need to learn how to care for them. Thanks for being so helpful. Let me know prices sometimes for what you would charge.

7. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

Cool! I am looking at the 30" fixture for a 56g cube build. Do you have any pics of the fixture over your tank? How deep is your corner tank? I am curious as to how deep it penetrates.

8. Click Here!

9. mdlinkous

Sorry... No pics. I could get some in a day or two. I just have it sitting on the glass canopy. Vey sleek... Very streamline. I am no expert on all the lighting techno and terms. All I know is with the 24 inch, I have a lot more light than the 130 watts I had with the coralife cf fixture. It is much whiter, brighter and I notice the shimmer effect more.

I think the depth is around 18-19 inches.

10. Natertot

Natertot Plankton

will love to see those pics, thinking of buying those lights and it's rare for me to see another 54g corner thread

11. mdlinkous

I will try to get some tomorrow. I have mine sitting into a corner built in. My problem has always been trying to find something bright enough that would still fit.

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Soft corals are easy. Just keep your calcium alkalinity and magnesium at the right levels and they don't require any care really.

please excuse wrong words, I posted this from my phone that auto "corrects."