Marineland's New HO and Single Bright LED Lamps

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Mar 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Marineland appears not to be content with the success of their popular Double Bright LED lamps. Here are some pics of the new Marineland HO 'Reef Capable' LED lamp and the equally interesting Single Bright LED lamp that will be here by summer. The HO LED has (EDIT - over double) the amount of LEDs found in the the Double Bright. The blue LEDs have been bumped up from .6 watt to 1 watt, the whites remain 1 watt. The new Single Bright lamp are pretty cool. They use a mixture of smaller LEDs that are less intense and produce nice depth and color in the aquarium. The Single Bright is meant to replace standard florescent lighting in aquariums and we were told that they will be priced very competitively.

[​IMG]
    Marineland's new HO Reef Capable LED Lamp

[​IMG]

The production model of the HO LED lamp with have a 25% boost in blues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The new Marineland Single Bright LED Lamp:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The follow pics are a cool prop that shows the various aluminum extrusions used by Marineland now. The one on the left is of the new Single Bright, the middle is the Double Bright and the one on the right is the new reef capable HO LED lamp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the additional cooling ribs found in the new HO model on the right.

Marineland's Double Bright LED was a winning formula of good looks, durability and value at a great price point affordable for the average aquarium hobbyists. While we are excited to see exactly what Marineland means by 'Reef Capable,' it will surely be priced right to make it attractive and a safe bet that these lamps will be a hit as well.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I think LED will be the next thing I get.. I was looking at MH, but this stuff is just too cool..

4. Nealio

Nealio Coral Banded Shrimp

I love this new technology, but i'm not sure if i'd rather have LED or Plasma.

5. purpletang

purpletang Bristle Worm

I am a DIY person with LEDs and I can tell you that marineland's fixture is not all that bright. You could probably only keep softies under it. However LEDs are capable of much more then this. With my DIY setup I keep clams and sps with great success. Also I can control the color temps to make it have the 20k look or i can do all blues and it makes the corals look like they are in photoshop with extreme contrast. The blue cree LEDs are in fact so powerful that they can ruin your eyesight if you look directly at them. I personally had one of these marineland fistures and I hated it because you could not control the color temp and it looked yellow. This would not be a good buy IMO.

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I know Bama, me too. The lumens to watt ratio is amazing. It's just one of those technologies that has to get dialed in, but once someone gets it right we can forget everything else.....

very little heat and no need for cooling fans to boot.;D;D

7. slocal

slocal Doot!

I really hope LED's hit full swing

8. Click Here!

9. kuzamu

kuzamu Plankton

Hi, do you know where i can buy this one online? the HO one.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

They are not out yet.

11. kuzamu

kuzamu Plankton

oh.. thank you anyway.

12. kuzamu

kuzamu Plankton

what is a better light for coral and fish this light HO leds or the AquaVue CREE LED Strip Lights By CoralVue?