Marine velvet

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Durty Dj's 916, Aug 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Either my anemone died and caused marine velvet and poisoned the tank or marine velvet killed it and made it worse. Found it decomposing after 3 days I have lost 2 fish. And 3 more are looking infected. I was able to net 2 of them and they are isolated and defiantly non their way out. One fish is currantly still in main tank as it was recently infect and to strong to net. I pulled the decamping anemone out and am going to do a water change. Is there anything else I should do

2. Click Here!

3. Durty Dj's 916

Forgot to mention there are 3 more fish that look ok but don't want them getting infected

4. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Hey DJ- gonna need more info.
    1) describe the symptoms the fish are showing
    2) how old is your tank
    3) how big is the tank
    4) how many fish in the tank
    5) have you tested the chemistry of the tank. If so, what are the parameters
    6) what do you have for lighting
    7) how recently did you add the fish

Velvet(Amyloodinium) is a microscopic germ that infects fish. It doesn't affect invertebrates (the anemone). The anemone dying can't cause an infection. However, the anemone dying can poison the water. Also, your fish could be infected with one (or more) of several diseases.

evolved and Mr. Bill like this.
  5. Durty Dj's 916

Tank is over 2 years old. 9 fish in a 55 gallon. It straight up looks like my fish are melting. I haven't lost a fish in over a year 2of the fish that have died were the fist fish I got.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Parameters?

Also, when was the last fish added, and how long did you have the nem?

As stated, fish diseases do not affect nems, and a dead nem cannot cause a fish disease outbreak. Either there's something else going on with your tank, or the two problems are unrelated and purely coincidental.

Billme likes this.
  7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Do you measure your tank chemistry?

Mr. Bill likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

As others have said, the anemone dying does not directly cause a disease outbreak, and fish diseases don't effect anemones. The fact that both are happening now leads me to think that their is a water quality issue inducing stress on your fish (stress increases susceptibility to diseases) and also causing your nem to die.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  10. Durty Dj's 916

I think what happened is the nem died and poisioned the tank. It looked like it got under a rock and couldn't get out and it decomposing made all my fish sick. My inverts are doing ok and so are my corals. It's looking like I'm going to have a full fish wipe out. Looks like only 2 aren't infected but we'll see how long it lasts. I have 2 other fish in my main tank that are infected and look like they will most likely die. Should I pull them out and hope the 2 that aren't infected pull through? What can I do here? I'm at a total loss this sucks so bad

11. Durty Dj's 916

Wow just checked my params. Ph is not even close so I checked my salinity and sure enough it's at 1.018. I must have measured wrong when I changed the water. So my ph is way low and there isn't enough salt in the tank. Which probably killed the anemone which decomposing for a few days poisoned the tank making my fish sick. And they couldn't get better because the ph and salinity were way off. This fucking sucks. I'm going to re do my water change and make sure ph and salt are accurate and hope for the best. This is devastating

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I know it's a blow to take but calm down and learn from this. I check my salinity daily and my alkalinity daily. That big of a fluctuation didn't happen overnight. Keep up on your params to avoids accidents like this. Sorry for the losses.