Marine ICH??????? what to do!!!!!

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Strickland_673, Mar 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Strickland_673

Strickland_673 Fire Shrimp

Hey,
    Recently bought a Valentini Puffer (many other names i've heard it called) and a yellow wrasse, the yellow wrasse has been acting weird rubbing it'self oss rocks and stuff, i know this is a sign of ICH. I looked this morning and my puffer has white spots on his fins and eyes, and he too is rubbing himself on the rocks. The yellow wrasse is not showing any signs of white dots, but she may have it in here gills?

Please guys, help me out here what do I do, ppl keep saying use copper, and i tell them to f off. anybody heard of using anything else? melafix? or anything natural based???

Mike

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

First, what are you water parameters? Do you have a reef tank? Inverts? Copper based medications are not reef safe and thus should only be used in quarantine tanks. Without knowing more, I would attempt to take the fish out and put them in a quarantine tank and treat with a copper medication. If you can't do that, I would start to treat the food with garlic to help their immune system. What ever you use, make sure to read the directions carefully and make sure that i will treat ich. Melafix is an antibacterial and as far as I know will not treat ich.

4. Strickland_673

Water Paramaters are all in normal range actually checked them before i put them in and today.....both same, all normal. right now it is just a fish only, going to be upgrading soon to bigger tank and then going to reef it, which means i'm goign to have to get rid of the puffer. I've been trying to get him out, little bugger is too quick. any idea of a copper med to use? I have super ich cure from my LPS, and it green in color?!?!

thanks

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Puffers are funny about any medications and if they are eating and its large white specks about like the size of a grain of table salt or sugar ? then its 99% most times simple ich and I would simple reduce stress and lower lighting and cut heater up to 81F and let it go.. Simple ich is nothing to really worry about unless the fish has an underlying problem , They will simple slough off the parasite and build a immunity tot eh next wave of attacks .

Most fish are simply over stressed from trying to save them and then the cure becomes far worse then the disease ):

6. Strickland_673

THANKS, so cut the lighting and the put temp at 81? are lunar lights ok to use.
    how long should i have my lights running? i have 2 24" T5 HO running on there for like 8 hours a day. I have to say tangster you've saved my rump a few times now!!!

they are a little smaller than a grain of salt?!?!

7. Strickland_673

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

No kiddin' huh? How about a quick freshwater dip? That should stress a fish into a submission.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Maybe a little smaller but not the itty bitty specks so small that it would take 10 to make a distinguishable large speck if that is the case and it looks like a dusting of them along the Gills ? then its oddinium and thats a whole nuther nuther ): I would lower the lamps for a day or two and allow them to lay low and settle in one or two bulbs are fine but lower is better I find and the heat is three fold in that it will help them to metabolize a little better and stimulate to need to feed thats the key and it will speed up the cycling period of the ich flagellates , But if the fish are eating then it will be fine in a day or two 99.9% of the time ..

1 person likes this.
  11. Strickland_673

both are eating like savages!!! all the little seaweed i had on my rocks are gone, because of the puffer, and the yellow wrasse is a svage for marie pellets i have with garlic in them, also i've been feeding the raw fresh shrimp i've soaked in garlic juice?

so if they're eating they're fine? or will be?

also sry but i didn't understand the settling under 1 or 2 bulbs i only have 2 bulbs....can't turn them off seperatly? so should i only have it on to feed then shut them off?

also how do u add karma to someone?

12. Strickland_673

nevermind i found the karma!!! karma for tangster!!!