Marine Depot's Low Price guarantee is...

Discussion in 'Marine Depot' started by fronty, Nov 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fronty

fronty Plankton

No, the request for a second supervisor was just for feedback purposes to get the company to start honoring their guarantee or consider revising it. I already placed an order for the item with their competitor. They gave me a firm no regarding the price match. I just told them I would like to cancel the order.

2. Click Here!

3. TruespeedEM1

TruespeedEM1 Skunk Shrimp

every major retail store in the United States....Best Buy, Kohl's, Target, HH Gregg, Petco, Petsmart, (both were not honoring each others ads, when they do it all the time where I live), just to name a few. Not to mention Marine Depot doesn't make probably 1/100th what these stores make.

Was the ad a typographical error like they're claiming? did/has the price went up since you tried to match it? Can we get a link to this item you're referring too?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. fronty

fronty Plankton

I looked at some of the stores you listed. They make it very clear that they do not price match on Black Friday or special events in their policy. Marine Depot has their low price guarantee IN their black Friday ad. There is a difference between having something in your policy and not honoring it and not honoring a price due to significant savings.

Yes, the price did go up. It was Black Friday. Almost all of the good deals have a time frame. Fortunately, I was able to save it to my cart and check out today at the sale price. Even if it was a price mistake, the CSR and supervisor did not check into it. They both decided not to honor their policy because their company would lose money. It would have been different if they called and confirmed the price. I even offered to check for them. They did not take me up on my offer.

I'm not sure why you are debating with me on this topic. Marine Depot offered, and still is offering, their low price guarantee on Black Friday weekend specials (see their Black Friday ad). I don't think losing money is a valid reason to not honor a policy. They are assuming that it is a price mistake (as you are). Well, if it is a price mistake, take a minute to confirm that it indeed was a price mistake. If it was, I would have just moved on as their policy states they will not honor pricing errors. My point is that nobody even checked. You wouldn't be too thrilled if a walmart employee denied a price match based on his/her assumption. I'm assuming you would expect him/her to make an effort to confirm the price before blowing it off as a pricing error. I'm not interested in arguing with you.

Thanks

5. TruespeedEM1

TruespeedEM1 Skunk Shrimp

lol nobody is arguing with you, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I can see both sides of the spectrum here.

Glad you got your stuff from the website that had it discounted. Next time maybe save the hassle and order it from the site that's cheaper to begin with anyway? :confused:

6. fronty

fronty Plankton

One of the purposes of price match policies is to retain loyal customers. In my case, I wanted to try a new company. I prefer to order everything I need from one company instead of having multiple shipments and transactions. There shouldn't be any confusion. Wouldn't you prefer to get everything from Home Depot in one trip instead of going to both Home Depot and Lowes? With online orders, shipping costs, delivery times, and carrier services come into play. This is especially true if you want to install the items at the same time. The delivery times will be different. I think you are missing the point of why a price match policy exists. There are many reasons why someone would want to just stay with one company (loyalty, convenience, rewards, saving on shipping costs, supporting local business, etc.). There are plenty of people that go through the "hassle" of price matching. Moreover, I did not know it was going to be a hassle and that Marine Depot would not honor their own advertised policies. If I knew this in advance, I would have ordered from their competitor as I ended up doing anyways.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

If you are so unhappy with not being price matched, why not just go to the company you said has a lower price on the selected item of purchase?

I did see this on the Black Friday Sale Sponsor Sale thread, that Matt Rogers posted.
    While I think a company should honor their own policies, if I am unhappy with my service, then I simply shop at a different company.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

Staying outta the mess, but I have had MD price match many transactions for me with no hassle ever, except for one coupon code they couldn't honor due to it not being "generally available" from our forum sponsor page. So IME they have always done a great job at being competitive and supporting the customer, and the customer service is 100000000x's better than most companies (AT&T for example LOL)

Just to be fair, there is no way you or any other business would operate at a loss. It just doesn't make sense. Sure it may seem to shaft the customer on a rare occasion, but you wouldn't buy a skimmer for 300 bucks and instantly sell it someone on the forums for 250.

I agree 100% with you about why they have such a policy, and why you as a consumer would want 1 transaction. I prefer MD because even standard shipping gets here overnight since I am so close to them, and often use the Low price guarantee for that. So it totally makes sense. I just hope you don't write them off for this reason alone, sure it sucks this one time, but even the best companies have off moments.

1 person likes this.
  10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

I agree with Atticus818. I have bought items from Marine Depot for the past 5 years with NO issues.. They have always price matched & they even refunded my Paypal account a couple of hundred on a item that went bad that was 4 months old!

You are seriously complaining about a $30.00 heater? First off (VERY few retailers) do price matching on Black Friday period! Do to the fact, a mfg can give certain pricing deals to a retailer do to what & how much they buy. If you're not happy, then buy it from the place that is selling it at the lowest price.

Keep in mind, I'd rather spend a bit more on a product to get customer/tech support. Which Marine Depot has ALWAYS been great!

"I don't think losing money is a valid reason to not honor a policy."
    You have a lot to learn my friend. Remember, a retailer does NOT have to sell you an item. Also, selling an item below cost is not a way companies stay in business..

I would suggest not bashing one of our sponsor on here. It is something we do not take lightly. Again, if you can not resolve the issue with them, then I would suggest buying it from where you can.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

After reading this thread every time somebody post something new, I think it is time to stop responding to the comments made on here. MD hasn't even made a comment on here, and it is on their forum. There is nothing wrong with MD, and I'm sure they are in the right. I think that it might just be time to drop it and let the OP deal with their issue in a more private matter like it shouldn't been handled in the first place instead of bashing a sponsor or any company in public like this. It is not professional at all, and it doesn't even look good. It won't even help you get what you want in the first place. Just my .02 cents anyways. Don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings.

2 people like this.
  12. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Correct, Target stated "It would not match prices on Black Friday, even though it will any other day." That includes: Best Buy, Sears, Radio Shack, & Amazon. So there are five right off the bat..

Others that would price-match will only match a selected group of retailers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.