Mardel Coppersafe

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by MoonChaser, Apr 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoonChaser

MoonChaser Aiptasia Anemone

Can anyone tell me if coppersafe is okay to use with urchins?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

No...copper kills inverts..all inverts

4. MoonChaser

Okay. Thanks... there goes that idea

5. Kevin3884

whats your issue that you need to give copper treatment? Ich? If so try feeding your fish garlic..cooked and squished, garlic guard (supplement), even 100% garlic powder...this will boost ur fish's defense system and they will fight the ich off themselves

6. MoonChaser

I think it is ich. My angel died on Sunday and now my clown died today. My other clown is sick but my wrasse looks fine.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Garlic doesn't work unless it makes the fish eat when it wouldn't eat before, and it won't work on a severe outbreak like yours. You need to QT and treat there.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

can you quarentine? that would be the best way to copper treat....try not to stress as much as possible...garlic garlic garlic..i live by it..my fish get a serving of garlic EVERY time they eat.

10. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

You can buy vitamins to add to the food too. I use VitaChem.

11. Kevin3884

Garlic does work..i can tell you that much right now..i had a Clown Tang that got ich in my DT..pretty severe case too...i just upped the garlic...and he fought it off without me having to QT, now he is healthy as a horse and no one else got it.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I had 6 fish die to ich while I fed garlic for a whole month between outbreaks and had lower (1.017) SG in a QT tank. I added copper when I had 2 fish left, one of which had a bad outbreak and subsequently died and one that had nearly nothing and lived, and now has no spots at all. Every fish that died had tons of ich spots on them, and all died while unable to respirate.

In other words, I counter your 1 piece of anecdotal evidence of success with a method never scientifically proven to work beyond statistical doubt with my 6 pieces of anecdotal evidence to the contrary plus 1 positive anecdotal account of another scientifically proven method!