MarcoRocks Aquacultured live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by DeeBee, Aug 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

So MarcoRocks now sells aquacultured live rock to use to seed the base rock you buy from them. Does anyone have experience with this specific rock?

Aquacultured Live Rock ( seed rock ) - MarcoRocks.com Store

I know that I could get a piece of rock from local reefers to accomplish the same thing, but after fighting bubble algae, Valonia and Bryopsis I just don't want to gamble with introducing that into my new tank. In theory this rock shouldn't have those issues.

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

anything is possible. I scrapped coraline algae from a friends tank and used that. It just needs to be introduced to your tank.

4. DeeBee

DeeBee Astrea Snail

So no one has used his seed rock?

5. 3snacks125

3snacks125 Plankton

im thinking about purchasing it too has anybody used it?

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Seed rock is little more than a money gimmick. It's just precured base rock, and unless you buy a lot of it, it will have little to no effect on your cycle. You'll still need to add an ammonia source and wait for the bacteria colonies to grow.

As for coralline, it will come in on frag plugs/rock rubble to which corals are attached. Mine came in on a couple of snails and now my tank is smothered in it.

If you're wanting CuC hitch hikers, buy a piece of true LR for seeding. Or better, get a micro CuC pack and skip the pests.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013