Mappa Puffer Hiding.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lust1kiddo, Aug 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

I just got one about 5 days ago...he is still hiding under rocks. A few days he seemed to be swimming and happy, now not so much so. I think maybe the water is off because my skimmer isnt functioning properly and I had temperature control issues for a day or so. I was just wondering if him hiding all the time was normal or should I be bugging out.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You'll need to watch for Marine Ich and treat appropriately for Puffer type of fishes. Normally I would not be too concerned because the fish is new, but since the fish was previously active and that has changed, add your temperature problems it's really sounds like disease might be trying to take hold.

Other options are, another fish may be showing aggression, even if it's just posturing.

Is the fish eating, have you corrected all temperature and chemistry issues? What specific type of Puffer?

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Edit: Duh the title has the type of Puffer.

What foods are you feeding? Add some Selcon, see if you can chop up some raw sea food too.

5. FeedYourMachine

FeedYourMachine Feather Duster

Puffers are very outgoing and up in front of the tank ,,after adjusting to the new system..
    Did you QT this puffer?
    Mappa's are very social ,mine was eating from my hand on day one..With that said ,if yours was doing well at first and is now not active ,it is very likely ,like corailline said,a disease is attacking him..Try a fresh oyster or clam,,no puffer can resist those ..
    Keep in mind ,puffers can not be treated with copper for ich..Hypo must be done .

Corailline likes this.
  6. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

I am feeding it Pro Salt Krill. he is the only guy in the tank. I will check the water today...temperature is under control. I am feeding once a day..he eats well maybe like 5 to 8 pieces or so..then he doesnt want any more.

7. FeedYourMachine

Krill is a big no no for puffers,triggers and lions !!It can cause lockjaw ..Sounds like you are over feeding too ..Puffers get constipated if fed too much,,they don't stop either,just keep eating..Is this your first puffer?
    Get the guy some nice fresh stuff ,he will be grateful ..Heck get some hermits in snails in too..Mine love em

8. Click Here!

9. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

Ok, my issue is that I read and read and there is so much contradictory stuff online. I am worried a little. Yes this is my first puffer. If i put the snail and crabs in there also..wont he over feed on them ?

10. FeedYourMachine

Well,you figure 2-3 hermits equal one krill,so i would throw 3-4 in there for him..But again,the fresh clams are great ..Just go to your grocery store and grab some.

11. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

Throw the clams in there shell and all ?

12. FeedYourMachine

Open them about half way ..Make him work a bit ..puffers need to use their teeth or they can fuse together from over growth..
    The snails and hermits also help with this ..
    The more i think about it ,it sounds like he is just full ..I made the same mistake with my first puffer...Keep an eye out for a good poop..If you don't see one ,he may be constipated .

Also make sure he gets some type of green,like nori or seaweed sheets a couple times a month,that keeps them regular