Mantis Shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Jason McKenzie, Jul 7, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Hey Everyone. I've been on the road a lot lately and haven't really been able to post but I have been reading.
    Hope everyone is doing well.

Many of you know the history of my tank. Things are going very well, but as the subject says I have a Mantis Shrimp that has been with me since Day one. Surprisingly I have zero sentimental attachment as it's systematically taking out my snail population.
    I have only seen it once many months ago and one leak ago, so I'm Not 100% sure were it has made its home. I have a trap but have been on and off with putting it in the tank.
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to catch it?

Thanks

J

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey J.

So you have used the trap or not?

I'd use the trap with some food in it.

My mantis in my old 40 was bold and would come out when I fed, does yours do that?

Makes it a lot easier to catch it.

4. Jason McKenzie

Ya I've had a trap in and out for months. But I just don't know were the little bugger lives. I got up at 4am one night to see if I could see him out and about but not luck. I think I'll start a schedule of moving the trap around every two days. I'm using shrimp as bate and it seems to be a great hermit crab catcher. :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

J

5. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

heres a page every thing u ever wanted to know about mantis shrimp if you look around there is a page with a couple different ways to catch the buggers

mantis shrimp

6. Jason McKenzie

Great Link Karlas. I think I'm going to try a method is read about in "REEF INVERTABRATES" attach a piece of shimp wraped in a nylon by a string and dagle it in front on the mantis hole. when the mantis strikes it's claws will ge entangled in the nylon and I will be able to hawl it out. I'll let eveyone know how it turns out.

J

7. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

And just when you thought you'd seen everything, here I am. My mantis is about 8 months old now. She is about 4" long and could take off the end of your finger faster than a surgeon. I love to watch her eat. And they are very comical to watch (very intelligent). Anyway, here's a pic from the other side of the tank:

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Wrassman,

Is that green beauty in your tank or sump?

10. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

Maddy, my mantis (Neogonodactylus sp.) is in her own 10g tank. She doesn't need anything larger. And she WILL NOT share space with anything. It is either FOOD or NON-FOOD. Those are the only two categories she knows.

So, she is happy as can be in her own 10g tank... :eek:

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

they are awesome little critters. they are small but powerful and they look to pretty to be considered tank killers. a friend of mine his parents have taken over a pet store recently and they caught a mantis shrimp and put him in his own little display tank pretty neat